New Lounger
    Thanks

Win7 can't finish installing updates

My wife's computer is a Lenovo T510 notebook running Win7 SP1. Last night when she turned it off it installed 15 updates. This morning when she turned it back on she got the usual "Please do not power off or unplug your machine." It finished installing updates until it got to "Installing update 14 of 15", at which point it stopped. The machine is not totally locked, since the spinning "busy" ring continues to spin, but it's been many hours now and there's no sign of progress.

I've always understood that killing a Windows machine in the middle of installing updates could lead to a machine that's unbootable, so I've not done that. What can y'all suggest? Should I stop it? If it then becomes unbootable, what are my options? I do have an image from this machine, but it's quite old.

Thank you for any help.

Thanks
    if the issue has not resolved itself, try something like a smaller solution.
    such as system restore to an earlier time and let the
    updates proceed installing from there
    Last edited by cpwilson; 2016-02-12 at 00:05.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to cpwilson For This Useful Post:

jdunham (2016-02-12)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Is the machine set to never shutdown/sleep on AC or will it do either of these after a given time in its power plan ?

I've seen where a power shutdown has resolved this when the machine has been restarted, selecting boot normally and then you can check to see which updates have been successfully installed.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

jdunham (2016-02-12)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Problem resolved

Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    Is the machine set to never shutdown/sleep on AC or will it do either of these after a given time in its power plan ?

I've seen where a power shutdown has resolved this when the machine has been restarted, selecting boot normally and then you can check to see which updates have been successfully installed.
    When I quit for the night the busy ring was still spinning, so I left it that way. It had been in that state for well over 10 hours. It was set to sleep after an hour, but obviously was running on too much coffee.

This morning my wife discovered that it appeared to be off. Pushing the power button resulted in a normal boot, and the message "Updates installed". Login was normal, and she's used the machine all day without an issue.

Soooo.... It appears that this was a false alarm. The updates installed properly, but took an incredibly long time for update 14. I don't understand, but am happy with the result.

Thanks for the suggestions. In my research I also ran across a page that might help someone else in the future: Windows 7 update has hung.