Lounger
    Thanks

Question Upgrading IE: Does it keep settings?

I know that when you move to a new version of Internet Explorer, the Favorites are kept. But, what about the many settings in Internet Options -- are they maintained, or do they revert to defaults?

How about add-ons -- do they carry over to the new IE version, or do they need to be reinstalled?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Thanks
    Leaving aside the intervention of Sod's Law, yes to both questions, with the caveat that you may need to update your add ons to get them to work with the new version of IE. Create a Restore Point just in case of any mishaps before you start any update.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I had to look up Sod's Law -- LOL

While Murphy's law says that anything that can go wrong, will go wrong (eventually), Sod's law requires that it always goes wrong with the worst possible outcome.
    This is reassuring, thanks for the tip!

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    In Murrica the exact same thing is called Murphy's Law.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You didn't ask about Edge but I'll volunteer it. Edge does not seem to use the same Favorites that IE does, but I did see a Windows 10 system pop up a screen that asked me if I wanted to import those favourites into Edge.

Since Edge and IE are both Microsoft products and Microsoft really, really wants people to switch from IE to Edge, it's reasonable to think that most other settings will be imported as well. However I don't know that for sure.