Thanks

Don't Want Windows 10?

Upgrade to Windows 3.1 instead!

http://www.zdnet.com/article/dont-wa...s-3-1-instead/

Jerry

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've already got it and it runs on an old 1993 computer along with DOS 6.22. Yes, the computer and software still run like, no, better than new because of upgrades I did to the computer.

Thanks
    I really liked Windows 3.1. You could open multiple DOS windows and run several DOS programs at the same time, even copying and pasting between DOS windows.

At my job we ran Windows 3.1 networked edition, which meant that most of your Windows files were kept on the network rather than on your hard drive.

We ran QEMM two or three times to reshuffle the way things were placed in memory, so as to get the most out of the memory.

Those really were the days...

Thanks
    And back then, you got a real keyboard if you bought an IBM computer -- an IBM model M keyboard (a clicky keyboard). I still have a couple of them in use today. Best keyboard ever made.

Thanks
    Don't want Windows 10?

Then download and install the "GWX control panel" and Nix 10. Simple.
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/deta...rol_panel.html

Windows 3.1 not required.

Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to DrWho For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2016-02-12)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I still have that "clicky" keyboard that came with my IBM PS/1 computer in '93. I now use a newer less clicky keyboard that is shared by two of my computers. Clicky keyboards seem to be all they use on TV shows where keyboards are used to do everything - like Nell & Beal on NCIS Los Angeles. They must have a ton of keyboard shortcuts programmed and memorized!

Thank you Doc, we were just doing a little reminiscing. I've heard about the GWX Panel (I wish I didn't have to hear so much about it). I stayed clear of the Windows "updates" that caused all this Win 10 commotion so I don't need it on my Win 7 machine. I haven't even gotten one Win 10 Nag. Many others do need it though, and it helps a lot.

Thanks
    Well, for a PC Tech, or just a good guy helping his friends, getting rid of anything that Nags the user is very important.
    But first, the helpers need to use it themselves, so they know what to click and in what sequence, to be effective.

It's certainly not Rocket Science, but well beyond the knowledge or ability of most casual PC users.

When was the last time you disabled "CTFMon" ??? That was a must-do back in the day, but seems to be all but forgotten now,
    for whatever reason. But now we have another helpful little program called simply the "CTFMon Remover".

So on every new setup of 8.1 or 10, I just run the GWX Remover and the CTFMon Remover as SOP. Takes only a minute to do and can remove some more stuff that doesn't really need to be running on any PC.

There's a lot more, but that's beyond the scope of this thread.

Cheers Mates!
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DrWho
    So on every new setup of 8.1 or 10, I just run the GWX Remover...
    Ummm... so, on every new setup of Windows 10 you run the Windows 10 Remover? How does that work?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

mrjimphelps (2016-02-15)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DrWho View Post
    When was the last time you disabled "CTFMon" ??? That was a must-do back in the day, but seems to be all but forgotten now, for whatever reason. But now we have another helpful little program called simply the "CTFMon Remover".

Cheers Mates!
    The Doctor
    As I remember, CTFMon was tied in with languages and/or was part of MS Office way back when. I see it on my Win 7 Task Manager using only 180KB so I haven't given it much thought - until now. Does it do something different now? If so, and it's not good, then I'm very interested in disabling it.

Thanks
    All you want to know about ctfmon:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/282599

Its harmless and uses very little System Resources so I wouldn't worry about it.

Jerry