Star Lounger
    Thanks

Will more RAM speed up my ACER Aspire 3680

I'm hoping by adding maybe 4 Gb RAM I can get my friend's ACER Aspire 3680 to actually do some work. If that's possible, I plan to dump the Windows Vista Home Basic operating system and replace it with Windows 7. All it has now is one stick of 500 Mb DDR2 RAM. There are two memory bays.

Am I going in the right direction here? And if I buy more memory am I restricted to the DDR2 kind?

As ever, thank you to the kind folks who labor here for the benefit of all. Happy Valentine's Day

Thanks
    If this link is anything to go by, it's pretty much netbook hardware, low-end CPU plus restricted RAM (2GB?) and a slow HDD.

The Crucial site will allow you to check exactly how much and what type of memory (use their Scanner): http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/homepage

If you think it's worth it, adding a modern SSD (64-128GB) as well as maxing out the RAM would make it a 'nicer' machine to use, W7 would be preferable but it's another cost.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to satrow For This Useful Post:

DeadVAIO (2016-02-12)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    That was a quick and easy piece of advice from the home of one of my favorite footballers, the fleet Mr Gareth Bale.

I purchased 2 Gb of memory from Crucial and we'll see how much faster this makes the ACER notebook. My friend wishes to use it in his business, processing orders and the like. We shall see if it helps. Thank you very much, Mr Satrow.

Thanks
    Dim problem

Thanks
    Hand in' hand approach: Along with the memory upgrade, a clean install and careful tweaking would go a long
    way in complete optimization.
    I would consider installing Windows 7 from scratch too if it is possible, but don't spend too much because it is NOT worth it.
    This would also include refraining from installing software that overly taxes already potentially weak "notebook" hardware;
    Memory hogging AV suites, Encryption, toolbars, browser add-ons, et al.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2016-02-19 at 19:01.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

DeadVAIO (2016-02-17)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It will help. I can't imagine running a modern OS on 512MB. I wouldn't want to run it on 2GB either, but I bet it noticeably improves performance.

Swapping to an SSD likely would help as well.

That system came with Vista Basic...I suspect Win7 would be hampered.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Y'know F Nation, that is what I'm concerned about. I bought the two 1 Gb sticks of RAM and the computer actually runs. I don't know what this guy was doing before, but I think not much.

When I put Win 7 in it, I am concerned it will slow down, but that's what my friend wants. It's for his business, and he's a good egg so I'll try to make it work for him.

My precise question is THIS: What is the upgrade path from Vista Home Basic? Is it Win 7 Home or can I run Win 7 Pro?

Since this will be used in a business atmosphere, I am supposing I ought to try to use Win 7 Pro. Is that correct or am I worried about nothing?

As ever, thanks for your help, folks.

Thanks
    My precise question is THIS: What is the upgrade path from Vista Home Basic? Is it Win 7 Home or can I run Win 7 Pro?
    There is no upgrade path from Vista anymore, if you have a viable W7 pro disc on hand by all means use it to CLEAN install.
    Check the manufacture for drivers, they may have all the W7 drivers you'll need, despite it being an originally Vista basic.

Just remember, the strength of your hardware will largely dictate what you can do with the machine.
    It'll be up to you to ultimately decide, and it may not be worth the hassle to extend the life of a weak Vista era notebook.
    Linux might be a better option.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    I have a similar low-spec Acer Aspire which came with Windows XP. I upgraded it to Windows 7 Home Premium and it struggled. I brought it up to 2 GB RAM and it now performs adequately for what I want. It's never going to be a powerhouse but, then again, it wasn't bought for that purpose.

I can't see any benefit trying to use Windows 7 Pro unless your friend is going to have to join a domain... in which case I would suggest a better laptop.

See here for more info about the differences between versions.

Hope this helps...

Thanks
    It's no wonder the computer struggled with only 500 MB of RAM.

Windows 7 32-bit should do fine with 2 GB of RAM. (That's what I'm running.)

And if you do a clean install of Windows 7 (recommended), this would be a good time to install an SSD, since you'll have to reinstall everything anyway.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Also the CPUs used (single core, <2GHz Celeron M) did not contain 64bit extensions, so you must use a 32bit OS. The upgrade or retail versions of Win7 will detect this and install the correct version if that is what you use.

Like Rick Corbett said, I see no use for the Pro version of Win7 in this application, though as far as I am aware it uses no more resources (other than space) than Home Premium. But both use more resources than Vista Basic.
    Last edited by Fascist Nation; 2016-02-18 at 12:48.

Thanks
    It's a low-spec, Celeron M-based laptop that came with an 80 GB HD and Vista Home Basic. It was apparently first released in the early part of 2007.

I don't know what prices are like in the US but, ignoring the cost of the OS upgrade (already mentioned), IMO, it may possibly be worth upgrading the laptop's RAM... if there are no other alternatives.

However, adding the cost of an SSD must surely be more than the current value of the laptop?

Thanks
    This hardware would be more along the lines of something I would clean up and hand down to a child rather than give it away for use in any kind of business.
    My opinion.
    DRIVE IMAGING

Latest Build: