3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook 2003 using Word as editor

I am using Office 2003 (Outlook and Word) on Win 7, and have set Outlook to use Word as text editor. If I receive an email with embedded pictures, they display correctly when I open that email. However, if I try to Reply or Forward then the new window takes a long time to open, and when it does, the Reply or Forward email does not show the embedded pictures. It just shows empty placeholder boxes, with a red X in the top left corner. But if I disable Word as text editor and repeat the same procedure, the Reply/Forward window opens immediately, and the pictures are shown correctly. Evidently there is a problem in the interface between Outlook and Word, and possibly it also has to do with a setting in Internet Explorer (which I normally don't use), but I can't nail it. I would prefer to use Word as the text editor, because of the extra formatting it provides. Any ideas please?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bundaburra View Post
    I am using Office 2003 (Outlook and Word) on Win 7, and have set Outlook to use Word as text editor. If I receive an email with embedded pictures, they display correctly when I open that email. However, if I try to Reply or Forward then the new window takes a long time to open, and when it does, the Reply or Forward email does not show the embedded pictures. It just shows empty placeholder boxes, with a red X in the top left corner. But if I disable Word as text editor and repeat the same procedure, the Reply/Forward window opens immediately, and the pictures are shown correctly. Evidently there is a problem in the interface between Outlook and Word, and possibly it also has to do with a setting in Internet Explorer (which I normally don't use), but I can't nail it. I would prefer to use Word as the text editor, because of the extra formatting it provides. Any ideas please?
    I've always found forwarding E-Mails with embedded images to be problematic. The issue is that the computer the image came from will not be found by the receiving E-Mail client, always more reliable to first Save an image or attachment to my computer then reattach when forwarding.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Or just don't use Word as an email editor - I've never liked that overhead, nor the results.

cheers, Paul

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Bundaburra - I agree with Paul T, also, spare a thought for your recipients, to whom you may be sending more bytes than they want to or need to receive.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the replies. Perhaps I didn't make myself clear; the pictures are not really embedded, they are just links. The incoming email contains references to pictures, which are in .jpg format and which are out there on a web site. I have looked at the HTML code, and it says 'src="https://....... .jpg" ' in various places. I copied and pasted one of these directly into a browser, and it came back with one of the same pictures as in the email. When the email is opened, Outlook is able to resolve these references and display the pictures in the body of the email. If I then do Reply, or Forward, without Word being set as the editor, then there is no problem. The new window containing the Reply or Forwarded message still shows the pictures, and it opens immediately. But if I have Word set as the editor, the pictures in the Reply or Forward window cannot be resolved. All I see in the Reply or Forward window is placeholder boxes, with a red X in the top left corner, and it takes several seconds. There is no question of sending someone large amounts of data, because all it should be sending is a copy of the original email, with its links to where the pictures are on the internet. A receiving computer should have no problem with that.

My conclusion is that there is a problem, or at least an incorrect setting, in the interface between Outlook and Word, such that when Word is editing the Reply or Forward, the links cannot be resolved. The workaround is not to use Word, but I'm trying to find out what the problem is, because it shouldn't be happening, and may be indicative of some other problem in my system.
    Last edited by Bundaburra; 2016-02-14 at 20:54.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Maybe it's an unintended consequence of Word attempting to be secure - not connecting to web links?

cheers, Paul

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    See if any of the tips at Internet images are not being downloaded in emails help.

Joe

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Also check that BlockHTTPImages value is set to 0 (zero) in your registry:

\HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\[12.0]\Common\BlockHTTPImages

Joe