Karlsruhe, Germany

Putting macros, shortc and menu items on a network (Word 97)

I have a group of computers that are all to get some macros, some of which are to be assigned to extra menu items and keyboard shortcuts. How can I minimize the amount of work done on each machine and put as much as possible on the network. I would also like to be able to change the macro code in one place on the network and have the change be valid for all the machines. I envision one possible solution as follows:

1. I put a file named "" on the network and open it with macros enabled on each machine
    2. Thereafter, whenever one of those machines starts Word, it has the extra menu items and key assignments. The macros that they run are on the network.

Question: what do I put in ""? Presumeably it needs an autoopen macro, but what does that macro need to do? I'd rather have it put a file in the startup directory than create an autoexec macro in the local, but I don't know how to make an autostart file.

Thank you for any help

Sun Prairie, Wisconsin, Wisconsin, USA

Re: Putting macros, shortc and menu items on a network (Word 97) should go on the network in a read-only folder. Each user's network login script should copy that file to the user's local disk in the user's Word startup folder. It can check the dates on the files and only copy the file if it is newer than the one already on the user's disk.

You could have each user's startup folder be the network folder or could have a shortcut to your global template put into each user's startup folder instead but this would mean that all users would have to close Word before you could make any modifications to your global template.

You may want to take a look at <A target="_blank" HREF=> Sharing Customizations</A> for instructions and information on sharing / copying / moving customizations including macros, AutoText, Toolbars and menus, and key assignments.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin