Star Lounger
    Thanks

Force default Log on

As recommended by Lincoln Spector in WindowsSecrets, I set up 2 logons, an Admin and a standard one. Is there a way to force Win10 to use the Standard log on/in so that it doesn't go to the Admin logon unless I specifically request it? (and off topic, what is the correct term, anyway: logon or login?)

thanks!
    Henry S. Winokur
    PC .HLP Computer Consulting -- Supporting family & SOHO Windows users in the DC area since 1990
    Bethesda, MD

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Henry,

Download a copy of SysInternals AutoLogon.

Sign on to your Standard Account

Run AutoLogon.

Done.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

KIWIpeteW (2016-02-14)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Henry,

Download a copy of SysInternals AutoLogon.

Sign on to your Standard Account

Run AutoLogon.

Done.
    HTH
    Thank you RG.

I do have one question: Will running "Auto Logon" still allow me to log in myself? I don't want the machine to log me in automatically, I just want it to take me to my log in screen whenever I start the computer, not the Admin's. If I need the Admin's screen, I'll go to after I logon in the standard user mode.
    Henry S. Winokur
    PC .HLP Computer Consulting -- Supporting family & SOHO Windows users in the DC area since 1990
    Bethesda, MD

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Henry,

AutoLogon will log you in w/o entering your password. Of course you can just Log Off to get into your Admin account. I don't know of a way to get right to a particular logon screen. Of course you can use registry entries to HIDE the Admin account from the standard logon screen, however I haven't tried this in Win 10 yet but used to use it on older versions.

Here are my instructions that worked in Win 7:
    Hidden User Accounts
    You can make a user account disappear, yet remain a full functioning account. This is useful for standard networking {no Home Group} on Win-7 The process does involve a registry edit.
    Normally when you log into Windows, you see the startup screen where you see all the icons for the users who have accounts. We are going to hide an account from this screen. If you want to log on as this user you have to press Ctrl+Alt+Del twice at the Welcome screen to make a Windows Security dialog box appear. Here you can type in the user name and password of the hidden account and log in. Limited Users shouldn't be able to see any sign of you except for the listing in the Documents and Settings folder. Other administrative users will be able to see your hidden account in Control Panel/User Accounts, so keep this in mind when you're planning this out.
    Before you begin with the instructions you should back up your System.
    1. Start, Run and type regedit and click OK
    2. Navigate to HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\SpecialAccounts\Userlis t.
    You will not see this folder if you do not have show hidden system files turned on.
    3. Create a DWORD value, right click on the User list label file on the left side of the screen and select New>DWORD. You'll see the new entry in the right pane of the window, rename this value the name of the user account you want hidden (exactly how it is listed in the Startup screen, case sensitive) and leave the value at 0.
    4. Close your Registry Editor.
    5. Restart the PC.
    When the Welcome screen comes up you'll notice that there's no icon for the user you just concealed. So how do you log in? This is where you press Ctrl+Alt+Del 2x's and the Windows Security Dialog box will come asking you to authenticate (name/password) after this the system should log you in.
    Here's one more thing you might want to keep in mindóWindows logon screen. This is the screen where you see the available users you can choose to log in as. You can turn this option on/off in the User Accounts (Start/Control Panel/User Accounts) then Change the way Users log in or off and Use Windows Welcome Screen and you need to turn it off if you plan on using a hidden account and there are no other accounts on the system. The reason why is, Windows doesn't have any user accounts to display in the Welcome screen, so it will continuously reboot. Now if you do run into this or any problems simply enter Safe mode at the next boot, this will allow you to go to the User Accounts Window and fix any problems. If you find that you can't log in at all with your hidden account go back and look at the registry value you created. Make sure you're spelling the user name is correct and that it's in the right location in the registry.
    I'll give this a try on my test machine when I get a chance and post back if you want to wait or you can give it a try yourself.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Windows 10 normally will present the account that was active when the system was re-booted as the login account.

Joe