Lounger
    Thanks

New laptop with Win 10 OS

My wife just bought a new laptop (HP Envy, 8 GB RAM, 6th generation I5 processor, 1 TB HDD).
    Could someone please post some recommendations on steps to take upon bootup? I probably should do a backup of the OS and a bootable usb drive first, I suppose. I understand that Win 10 has a pretty good backup options included. I prefer something that is pretty user-friendly, so appreciate all suggestions... Will a 32GB usb flash drive hold the backup and bootable drive? Or do I need to back up on CDs/DVDs?
    Recommendations on which Win 10 options to enable/disable, such as cloud storage (I don't want it), how to keep MS from getting too much of my privacy, etc...
    I do not have nearly as much computer savvy as most on here, so would appreciate it if we could keep it simple and step by step.

Also, once I get the OS tweaked, I'd prefer to use Mozilla Firefox as my browser rather than Edge or Chrome. Any suggestions along those lines?

Thanks in advance!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TerryR40 View Post
    My wife just bought a new laptop (HP Envy, 8 GB RAM, 6th generation I5 processor, 1 TB HDD).
    Could someone please post some recommendations on steps to take upon bootup? I probably should do a backup of the OS and a bootable usb drive first, I suppose. I understand that Win 10 has a pretty good backup options included. I prefer something that is pretty user-friendly, so appreciate all suggestions... Will a 32GB usb flash drive hold the backup and bootable drive? Or do I need to back up on CDs/DVDs?
    Recommendations on which Win 10 options to enable/disable, such as cloud storage (I don't want it), how to keep MS from getting too much of my privacy, etc...
    I do not have nearly as much computer savvy as most on here, so would appreciate it if we could keep it simple and step by step.

Also, once I get the OS tweaked, I'd prefer to use Mozilla Firefox as my browser rather than Edge or Chrome. Any suggestions along those lines?

Thanks in advance!
    I've done between about 20 Upgrades to Win10 and a couple of new computers. I just follow the prompts but usually don't set up a Microsoft account until after the computer is running, there's a choice albeit small type.

For the USB suggestion the 32GB will be fine. A caveat: I tried it with a 64GB because I had nothing smaller at the time and Win10 changed the partition to 32GB and formatted as FAT32, couldn't access the remaining 32GB. Seems it's a limit in Windows of 32GB FAT32 partitions.

Get the latest Firefox, version 44.0.2 and install, I'm not having any issues with it. If you still want Internet Explorer 11 just look in All Apps, W section and Windows Accessories. If there right-click and choose Pin to Start. Also click More and you can Pin to Taskbar. If IE doesn't show you can still create a shortcut on the Desktop to iexplore.exe.

If attaching an older printer check the maker's Web site to see if there's drivers available, important for All-in-One/MultiFunction models. Simple printers may have built-in drivers or available at Windows Updates.

You'll get more suggestions but I only gave what worked for me and my clients.

Added: The new direct-from-Dell Notebook I did yesterday came with Win10 build 10240, had to upgrade it to 1511 10586.0 then got it up to 10586.104, does take awhile.
    Last edited by Berton; 2016-02-13 at 20:51.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Berton For This Useful Post:

TerryR40 (2016-02-13)

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Get an external 2TB drive a 3rd part backup program (plenty of free ones, Aomei Backupper, EaseUS ToDo, Macrium Reflect).
    Make an image of your laptop to the external drive. Update the image every couple of months / whenever you want.
    Make regular data backups of "My Documents" to the external drive - at least weekly.
    Store the external disk in a safe, preferably fire and flood proof location.

cheers, Paul

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

TerryR40 (2016-02-14)

Thanks
    A good article on Windows 10 Privacy settings. Read it and make choices as you personally see fit.
    http://lifehacker.com/what-windows-1...lly-1722267229

Jerry

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

TerryR40 (2016-02-14)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I would also recommend setting up File History (which will handle the My Documents backups) to an external hard drive, get a 32GB or greater thumb drive and create a recovery USB stick, and finally install the free Secunia PSI and Malwarebytes. Windows still has an image backup program built in but you will need the recovery USB drive if you ever need to recover the image. You may prefer a 3rd-party tool though. Back up that image to an external hard drive.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to JazzGuyy For This Useful Post:

TerryR40 (2016-02-16)

Thanks

Handy short cuts in "Right click on start"

Also set up default programs,(Mozilla Firefox for instants) to get things running as you like.
    Right click on START
    Click on CONTROL PANEL
    Click on DEFAULT PROGRAMS
    Click on SET YOUR DEFAULT PROGRAM
    The right click on start also gets you to SYSTEM RESTORE quickly. Just click on SYSTEM, then SYSTEM PROTECTION.System Restore comes turned off so be sure to check that out if you have not already.
    Cheers Pete.

You mentioned MS and privacy,here is a read that Woody put up on the subject .http://www.zdnet.com/article/windows...work-analysis/
    Last edited by KIWIpeteW; 2016-02-17 at 04:33.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to KIWIpeteW For This Useful Post:

TerryR40 (2016-02-17)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    Get an external 2TB drive a 3rd part backup program (plenty of free ones, Aomei Backupper, EaseUS ToDo, Macrium Reflect).
    Make an image of your laptop to the external drive. Update the image every couple of months / whenever you want.
    Make regular data backups of "My Documents" to the external drive - at least weekly.
    Store the external disk in a safe, preferably fire and flood proof location.

cheers, Paul
    OK, I am back after an on again off again problems. Recently I was following some advice from a PCWorld article advocating using a rcommended program called PC Decrapifier intended to simplify bloatware removal. Well, in downloading the above program, I apparently somehow also downloaded a PUP called PCBackupWizard, a nasty non-virus program that nevertheless gave me problems in getting rid of it. I think that it or some other malware compromised the McAfee Live program that came bundled with the Pc.

Anyway, long story short, I was able to uninstall PCBW and ran MalwareBytes Anti-Malware Free to get rid of it and I believe that the PC is now virus-free, as I ran MicroSoft Safety Scanner afterwards, and it came up clean.

After all that, I am of the mind that I need to get the PC backed up to an external HDD (I know, should have done it earlier but I wanted to have a bloatware-free PC backed up).
    So, the question: I have a 4 TB external Seagate HDD; do I download Macrium and do a clone of the PC or do a Mirror image?
    As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I am not the most tech-savvy guy, so would appreciate someone telling me which option and why?
    Also was reading on another thread that some advocated backing up File History. is that done via Win 10 or through Macrium?

Lots of questions, appreciate any help.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    “Will a 32GB usb flash drive hold the backup and bootable drive?”
    I’m not familiar with this concept but here are my thoughts
    I wouldn’t recommend attempting to include both a system image back up on the same media even if it’s possible to do so

On creating System Image Backups
    --- That is an excellent thing to do
    --- I do mine on a monthly schedule on the weekend before Patch Tuesday onto a portable external hard drive
    --- You don’t have to wait for the computer to be perfectly setup
    --- As you experiment on how you want your settings and configurations to be, create system images and/or system restore points when it makes sense to do so
    --- That way if a setting or configuration causes more problems than expected you won’t have to start all the way back to such and such a prior time
    --- Your manual system restore point or system image backup will become your friends when they are needed
    Win10 has 2 methods in Control Panel for System Image Backups
    The simplest one is Backup and Restore (Windows 7)
    --- If you use this one also create a System Repair disc onto DVD-RW
    The second method uses File History and it has been mentioned in a prior post
    --- If that method also includes creating a System Repair disc onto DVD-RW, please do so
    So you’ll know I use Macrium Reflect on my own computer

One more item I do is save my personal data manually also
    --- They are saved to my portable external hard drive, a designated flash drive and onto an XP computer that isn’t connected to the Internet
    --- I have seen some very people who have lost their data
    --- BTW I use a batch file to save my data

On creating a Win10 USB recovery drive
    Recovery Drive - Create in Windows 10 / How to Create a USB Recovery Drive in Windows 10
    http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4...dows-10-a.html
    An 8GB flash drive has been more than adequate for the computers I have serviced
    Including saving system files the highest space taken up has been 3.97 GB and took a little over an hour
    NOTE: when creating the USB Recovery Drive it will overwrite anything on the flash drive
    I’d like to add that as MSFT adds major updates to Windows 10, create another USB recovery drive

“Recommendations on which Win 10 options to enable/disable, such as cloud storage”
    I’ll assume you mean MSFT’s OneDrive: refer to
    How to stop Windows 10 from saving files to OneDrive
    Lincoln Spector Contributing Editor, PCWorld Nov 5, 2015
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/29933...-onedrive.html
    In addition I disable One Drive in startups

14. The Following User Says Thank You to cmptrgy For This Useful Post:

TerryR40 (2016-03-14)

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Create an image, not a mirror.
    An image is a copy of everything on the hard disk, including how the partitions are set up and can be restored as required.
    A mirror makes your backup disk an exact replica of the original disk and you therefore cannot use it for any other backups.

File History is an alternative to regular backup. If you are backing up regularly with Macrium you probably don't need File History. I'd stick to one or the other and Macrium, or other 3rd party app, gets my vote as it's more flexible than Windows backup.

There is generally no need to run 3rd party cleaners, except AV / anti malware. Windows is pretty good at keeping things running as they should.

cheers, Paul

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

holdum333 (2016-03-14),TerryR40 (2016-03-14)

Thanks
    I'll chime in here about File History. IMO there's no problem with running Macrium and FH as well. The question is, how often do you backup using Macrium and how often do you change files? I do an image once a week, but I also have FH running as that will backup my personal files if I change them, so in the event of a problem, I can restore my files to what they were just before the problem, unlike with Macrium as you could (in theory at least) lose all the changes you made since your last image.

Another good point about FH, is that you can restore an older file if you screw it up; you keep as many files as you specify, so you can restore even a file many versions old. It's also easier to restore from FH as it's just clicking on the History link on the Home tab of File Explorer. You have to mount the Macrium image and navigate to where your file is.

In the end, it's up to you and how you work.
    Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand

18. The Following User Says Thank You to access-mdb For This Useful Post:

TerryR40 (2016-03-14)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Pro tip: It's a great idea to get in the habit of creating a system restore point any time you make important changes to the computer. For instance:

- before you add or remove any applications;
    - before you update/upgrade any device drivers;
    - before you make any Operating System configuration changes that look 'important'.

They aren't conventional backups but restore points can often be a first stop when things go wrong due to those changes. And using restore points to roll back problematic changes are super convenient.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to BHarder For This Useful Post:

TerryR40 (2016-03-19)