Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sync software

Thanks

Sync software

While we're on the subject of copying and cloning, does anyone here know of a utility, preferably pay-for, that can replace FreeFileSync -- in its EZ-to-use, without any added PUP?
    Free is just not cutting it. I need something that is not a "bus" where a "VW" [such as FreeFileSync] will do perfectly.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    I moved this to its own thread. Please do no hijack a thread. Start your own.

Joe

Thanks
    Thanks Joe!! I was hoping those guys in there knew of sync-software because large parts of the conversations included folder & file copying, which is what sync-software can do.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Almost all those same guys will read this. Hopefully, one or more will have good responses for you.

Joe

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    Roland,

May I ask why you want to replace Free File Sync? Personally, I think it works pretty well.

Have you considered RoboCopy which has syncing switches?

May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    While I really enjoy the utility-ease of FreeFileSync, its install always gets a warning from my security software that a PUP [which gives my security kittens] is on the way, unless we block.
    FFS does install, however, there's always that silly PUP raising kittens.

Thanks
    Roland,

That's easy enough to get around as I just did it. Download from FreeFileSync.org.
    The license clearly states that it will install a couple of PUPS but doesn't call them that. To avoid that as you proceed through the install process select "Portable Version" and you get no PUPS and no problems. The software runs just fine and neither MS Defender nor MalwareBytes Premium raised a peep! I was careless with the install and forgot to change the install path (I keep all my portable programs in a directory {NonInstPrograms} under Documents) but a simple right-click of the mouse and I moved the directory from my C: to G: drives and setup a shortcut and everything works just fine.

I also did a complete MWB scan and again no complaints.

HTH

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Thanks
    RetiredGeek, I can't find the specific URL you used for FreeFileSync portable

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandJS View Post
    RetiredGeek, I can't find the specific URL you used for FreeFileSync portable
    Roland,

It's not a different URL that the one I linked in the post. It is an option in the installer program.

HTH

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Thanks
    I really like FreeFileSync and have found another way to install FileFreeSync without worrying about OpenCandy PUP. Basically, it is a batch file that will disable the OpenCandy Installer part of the FreeFileSync. You do not have to install the portable version. While there are reasons to avoid OpenCandy "tainted" programs, sometimes they are the programs that work best for me. This is a way to install them without the OpenCandy part.

Here is a link to an ESET Security Form posting with a download link for the "NoCandy" Batch file:

https://forum.eset.com/topic/3701-bl...out-opencandy/

Here is link that shows the actual batch file script:

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/...ml#post3098192

Finally here is a link to a recent article that list some of the more common free programs that have OpenCandy Installers associated with them:

http://www.briteccomputers.co.uk/pos...oid-opencandy/

I have used this batch file with FreeFileSync, and Malwarebytes does not give a warning (ie Open Candy is blocked). I have also used it successfully on other OpenCandy "tainted" programs.

Hope this helps

Jim

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You definitely want LapLink.

Panda free does a swell job of eliminating the open candy sort of thing.

Thanks
    If file syncing and backup is what you need, SyncBackSE is the product I have been using for years. It is very reliable, and very good product support (through forums only) and and is absolutely loaded with features. I've used it extensively and never even seen it burp, it runs for years with no problems.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    That's easy enough to get around as I just did it. Download from FreeFileSync.org.
    The license clearly states that it will install a couple of PUPS but doesn't call them that. To avoid that as you proceed through the install process select "Portable Version" and you get no PUPS and no problems.
    RG,
    Here is a note from The Portable freeware collection.

Note: This program was added to the database before the author decided to go the adware route. Additionally, FreeFileSync versions 6.3 and later can not be run from a portable menu or scheduling software due to a unfixed bug in the app.

In addition portableapps.com still remains with version 6.2!!!

So; the question is: Does your portable install of FreeFileSync require display ads, which means it must be connected to the internet to run properly???
    I ask because I have been staying with version 6.2 from portableapps.com.

Thanks,
    Michael

Thanks
    Michael,

I don't see any adds do you?
    FreeFileSync.PNG

HTH

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Thanks
    I just downloaded FreeFileSync 7.9 and installed it as portable by checking the box during setup.

There are no ads displayed at all. It did place a .dll in my <user>\local\temp\ folder, but Kaspersky identified it as Open Candy and removed it.

That said, version 7.9 works just as designed. However, I still prefer the user interface of version 4.6 (still available from the archive). Version 5.0 started the interface shown in the post by RetiredGeek. The older version works just as well, is simpler, and works across network shares. It has everything I need and is also available as a portable app during setup.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast