Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Lounger
    Thanks

All browsers say I'm in Canada on shopping websites

I have tested this on Edge, Internet Explorer, Firefox and Chrome. When I go to some shopping websites, I get a popup that says, I notice you are in Canada, would you like to visit the Canadian site? I am not in Canada, I am in Texas. I have searched online for a solution and tried every suggestion without a change. I have checked my location in whatismyip.com, used precise location in Chrome, cleaned my cookies and cache, cleaned and disabled flash cookies, run Ccleaner numerous times, and still get this on Walmart, Newegg, Wayfair and other shopping sites. Other users in the house get the same error, so it is not tied to me. When I visit a site, there is a cookie downloaded that says zip code K2H. I can't seem to get rid of it. Where is this info coming from and how do I correct it?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    It may be your ISP/Internet Service Provider, has one of their servers in Ontario. I'd be checking with them.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Berton For This Useful Post:

Kmatlock (2016-02-15)

Lounger
    Thanks
    No, it's Suddenlink, based in St. Louis, no Canadian service. DNS servers are in Arkansas.

Lounger
    Thanks
    IP address resolves to Texas.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    See if AdwCleaner finds anything on your computer. https://toolslib.net/downloads/viewd.../1-adwcleaner/

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

Kmatlock (2016-02-15)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kmatlock View Post
    No, it's Suddenlink, based in St. Louis, no Canadian service. DNS servers are in Arkansas.
    Interesting, your Location shows as Pittsburg, PA, and you have service through a firm in St. Louis, MO, their DNS Servers are in Arkansas and the IP goes to Texas. What type service do you have with Suddenlink?

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    See if AdwCleaner finds anything on your computer. https://toolslib.net/downloads/viewd.../1-adwcleaner/
    Thank you. It did find and delete a few Chrome folders:

AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions\dmglolhoplikcoamfgjgammjbg chgjdd
    AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Web data] [Search Provider] Found : aol.com
    AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Web data] [Search Provider] Found : ask.com
    AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Secure Preferences] [Extension] Found : dmglolhoplikcoamfgjgammjbgchgjdd

but Newegg still thinks I'm in Canada:
    Capture.PNG

I did a Google search and found that the block 47.222.201.0-47.222.201.255 was originally assigned to Nortel Networks in Ottawa. After Nortel went bankrupt in 2009, their IP addresses were purchased by other companies. The website Speedguide.net is resolving the address to Ottawa and the dreaded K2H zipcode, but the WHOIS info lookup on the same site shows Suddenlink in Tyler, TX, last update 2014.
    I guess whoever Newegg and the other sites are using for their geolocation haven't updated their databases since 2014. Sure makes it hard for us to shop online. Also read that prices on some sites are dynamic depending on location.
    Last edited by Kmatlock; 2016-02-15 at 12:53. Reason: Remove attachment showing ip address

Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, I live in Pittsburgh, PA, but I am currently at my house in Tyler, TX and have internet service here, at this house, from Suddenlink. Sorry for the confusion. (Reason for having second house in Texas is a long story.)

Lounger
    Thanks
    I have service at my home in Pittsburgh from Comcast and have no problems with the geolocation when I am there.

Thanks
    You'll have to contact the sites that have your location wrong and ask them to use an up-to-date AS/IP source, don't point them at SpeedGuide.net, they have you down wrong as well (http://www.speedguide.net/index.php and use the IP checker near the top).

13. The Following User Says Thank You to satrow For This Useful Post:

Kmatlock (2016-02-15)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you. Yes, more than one database has it wrong. I tried to get an IP address in a different block but it isn't happening. As a home user, my ip address will only change when I don't want it to.

Thanks
    What happens when you're registered and logged into one of these sites, does the ordering/shipping process go as expected?

If not, have you tried contacting their Customer Service dept. to make progress?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to satrow For This Useful Post:

Kmatlock (2016-02-15)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Kmatlock - it does sound as if your ISP should deal with this.

If they don't, or won't, there is always the option of a VPN such as ZenMate, free, and very effective. It should change your IP address to the USA.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnFleming For This Useful Post:

Kmatlock (2016-02-15)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satrow View Post
    What happens when you're registered and logged into one of these sites, does the ordering/shipping process go as expected?
    If not, have you tried contacting their Customer Service dept. to make progress?
    Can log in, but if I navigate around to shop, I'm not always kept logged in and the location again defaults to K2H, Ottawa, Ontario. Haven't contacted Customer Service yet. Don't have a lot of hope for that as they are probably not the people responsible for designing and maintaining their website. It's probably another company altogether.

I do shop interest rates on savings accounts and I have been told by several banks that they are set by location. For example, if you live in Ohio, you may get a different interest rate than if you live in Florida. You don't get to tell them where you are when you are not logged in; their cookie system, for lack of a better term, does that. I asked why I was seeing a higher rate on a bank's rate page than I was offered, and that is what I was told.

I've learned a lot about browser geolocation researching this problem. Read a good article here:
    https://cms.scs.carleton.ca/sites/de...r/TR-06-05.pdf

Being a retired geek, I am frustrated when I can't fix it and keep trying to figure out a way to make it work. I will report back after I try a few things; i.e., contacting the companies (Walmart, Newegg, Wayfair, etc.), contacting Suddenlink to see if I can get assigned to a different ip block, and looking into using a proxy server.

This all started a couple months ago when I rearranged the furniture in the living room and the modem was unplugged. As I said, the only time I get a different ip address is when I don't want one.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnFleming View Post
    Kmatlock - it does sound as if your ISP should deal with this.

If they don't, or won't, there is always the option of a VPN such as ZenMate, free, and very effective. It should change your IP address to the USA.
    Thank you very much. I will contact Suddenlink and look into using a VPN.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast