Thanks

Optional KB3135445

I decided to try KB3135445 on my 32 bit W7 Pro machine ( it's supposed to help speed up the WU process on W7 ). It didn't help as far as I can tell. It still took over 50 minutes to find the available updates, which is approx. what it has been taking since W10 came out. Just thought I would post my results in case anyone thinks that KB will speed up the process.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lumpy95 View Post
    I decided to try KB3135445 on my 32 bit W7 Pro machine ( it's supposed to help speed up the WU process on W7 ). It didn't help as far as I can tell. It still took over 50 minutes to find the available updates, which is approx. what it has been taking since W10 came out. Just thought I would post my results in case anyone thinks that KB will speed up the process.
    That update installed on 2/10/2016 on my 64-bit Win7 Ultimate machine without issue. I'm downloading an 18MB update now, seems to be progressing okay, can't tell about the speed as I've never timed any of the previous ones.

Thanks
    I was referring to the amount of time that it takes WU to "find" the updates. Once it finds them and I make a choice as to what to D/L, it doesn't take long.

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    50 minutes seems a long time, but it's better than 60... MS doesn't say how much of an improvement it makes.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the info, lumpy95. Funnily enough I have just been running the Malicious Software Removal Tool prior to installing the appropriate updates in the next day or so and as I sat looking at the "0% download" I wondered if KB3135445 would speed up the finding process at all! Sometimes it takes no time at all to find the updates, other times like today it takes 10 minutes or so, but never significantly longer than that. In the light of your experience I'll happily settle for the existing arrangements and leave that particular update hidden.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I regard anything from MS these days regarding helping Windows Updates or to do with the Windows Update Agent with suspicion, as I believe it's another attempt to get Win 10 onto those computers whose owners have resisted it so far.

That KB joined the list of those I already have hidden.

Thanks
    I wondered if KB3135445 would speed up the finding process at all! Sometimes it takes no time at all to find the updates, other times like today it takes 10 minutes or so, but never significantly longer than that. In the light of your experience I'll happily settle for the existing arrangements and leave that particular update hidden.
    That used to be the case for me ( 10/15 mins. ) to find available updates until W10 came out. Now it's 45/60 mins. every time.

I regard anything from MS these days regarding helping Windows Updates or to do with the Windows Update Agent with suspicion
    +1 for any updates related to W7.