New Lounger
    Thanks

Cannot upgrade Win 7 to Win 10

I have a 64 bit Win 7 Home Premium OS and am attempting to run the upgrade to Win 10. The error message is:

Air Display (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM v11.)
    The display manufacturer hasn't made your display compatible with Windows 10. Check with the manufacturer for support.

Air Display allows me to use my iPad as a second monitor. I has researched this and have tried many of the recommendations without success.
    Has anyone had this problem? If so, have you solved it?

Thanks.

Dale Anderson
    Last edited by satrow; 2016-02-14 at 21:46. Reason: Anti-spam measure, removed email.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sunbirdaz View Post
    I have a 64 bit Win 7 Home Premium OS and am attempting to run the upgrade to Win 10. The error message is:

Air Display (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM v11.)
    The display manufacturer hasn't made your display compatible with Windows 10. Check with the manufacturer for support.

Air Display allows me to use my iPad as a second monitor. I has researched this and have tried many of the recommendations without success.
    Has anyone had this problem? If so, have you solved it?

Thanks.

Dale Anderson
    Without having a link to the manufacturer provided, I did a Search and found this:
    https://avatron.com/applications/air-display/
    As the page says, support for Win10 is not yet available. You can keep checking that link [bookmark it] and only hope that support becomes available if you want the free Upgrade to Win10 before it expires.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Berton For This Useful Post:

sunbirdaz (2016-02-17)

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Or upgrade now to register, then roll back / restore image. When air-display finally becomes available for W10 you can re-upgrade.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I would do as you suggested but the Win 10 upgrade quits because it finds a compatibility problem with Air Display. I have uninstalled Air Display but it must have left something in the registry because it still finds the same compatibility issue.

Thanks for the reply.

Thanks
    You'll need to clean the system up a bit more thoroughly than a simple uninstall.
    Try using CCleaner and it's registry cleaner as well, you can delete all registry entries it finds regarding "Air Display".
    Also ensure that the "Air Display's" root folder is removed.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the reply.
    I ran CCleaner and it's registry cleaner. Same problem with Win 10 upgrade.
    Ran regedit and searched for all instances of "Air Display" then "AirDisplay" and deleted them. Same problem with Win 10 upgrade.
    Looked for any folders on the hard drive with the name "Air Display" or "AirDisplay" or "Avatron". Did not find any.
    I have emailed Avatron support detailing the problem hoping they will have a solution.

Thanks.

Thanks
    I guess there's always the blunt force approach. Restore the computer to factory original, then upgrade.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Too drastic. I'll stick with Windows 7 and hope for a solution.
    Thanks.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I emailed the developer of the Air Display software and received the following response. I ran all the suggestions and to my relief I was able to finally get Windows 7 to upgrade to Windows 10. If you have the same problem, I hope this works for you.

Air Display's video drivers use the WDDM 1.1 driver model, which is deprecated in Windows 10. We hope to update these in the future to work on Windows 10, but we don't have a projected date for this update yet. And we have a fair amount of re-architecture work to do between here and there.

If the Windows 10 compatibility tool complains that your PC is incompatible because of our drivers, and then you uninstall and try the compatibility tool again, it will probably fail again. As Microsoft says in the Windows 10 Compatibility FAQ: "The report runs automatically about once a month. If you installed apps or devices recently, or made changes to your PC, the report might not reflect these changes." This is probably due to some clever Microsoft engineer trying to over-optimize performance. Although one user reports that you can get around this with this DOS command as Administrator:

schtasks.exe /Run /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience\Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser"

But I know the DOS prompt is not for everybody! Anyway, don't despair. What does work is to get the "Download Tool" from Microsoft: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10
    And follow these steps: 1.First uninstall the normal way from the Start menu. This will remove most of the Air Display bits but not all.
    2.Manually uninstall the Air Display driver. You can find it in the Display Adapters section of the Windows Device Manager by enabling “Show hidden devices.” Then uninstall it by right-clicking and selecting Uninstall.
    3.Run Microsoft's Download Tool.

That should work. If it doesn't, here are some [slightly hairier] steps to clean out the registry manually to remove all references to Air Display. I know this is not for everybody, but still, here it goes:

1. Download runassystem.exe from https://www.raymond.cc/blog/download/did/1620/ (275kB file)
    2. Run regedit.exe through runassystem.exe, which runs regedit as SYSTEM (as user you cannot delete certain entries)
    3. In regedit search for all references to Air Display AND airdisplay AND avpci and remove them.
    4. After these steps you should get a green light for the installation of Windows 10.
    (Information above from here: https://www.raymond.cc/blog/full-con...dows-registry/)