New Lounger
    Thanks

creating recovery drive

Do I need to create more than one USB Recovery drive for my various PCs? I have three laptops, all different models, manufacturers and recent Win 10 upgrades. Are hardware drivers for specific configurations saved on the recovery drives?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    In a word, yes.
    The recovery information will include the drivers on that machine, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't be available to a standard W10 install. The other thing saved in the recovery info is the installed software and settings, which will be different on each machine.

My preference is to use a 3rd party backup program and an external USB disk. Then I don't have to worry about which machine to recover as they are all on one drive.

cheers, Paul

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

LJB (2016-02-15)

Thanks
    You can make a Windows rescue/startup repair usb stick or dvd -- I've used that several times to fix a startup problem [which is past post, involving only the boot operations].
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You only need one if all of your computers have the same version of Windows 10. If you have some with 32-bit Win10 and some with 64-bit, then you need a separate recovery drive for each type: i.e. one 32-bit and one 64-bit. If they are all 64-bit or all 32-bit then one recovery drive will suffice.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JazzGuyy For This Useful Post:

BruceR (2016-02-15),LJB (2016-02-16)

Thanks
    Thanks JazzGuyy for that 32 & 64 bit reminder! I should have remembered that.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, I agree on 32 or 64 bit. What about video, other drivers, software and settings, like PaulT says, are those copied to a recovery drive too?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    What about video, other drivers, software and settings, like PaulT says, are those copied to a recovery drive too?
    Why not just take a disk image ? then you don't have to worry about any of the above - or anything else. You will have complete freedom to restore single files (system or not), folders, partitions, whatever you want - to any PC you want.

As you never know the nature of the disaster you may face, it is much better to have all the options left open at the time of making the backup and be selective when you want to restore.

It is their failure to grasp this simple point which makes the MS backup utilities positively dangerous.

Success can only be measured when you've restored things properly, not when you've made a backup.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MartinM For This Useful Post:

LJB (2016-02-18),Paul T (2016-02-16)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Here is what I found after creating a new thumb drive recovery drive with system files on two different Win 10 x64 laptop computers. The recovery drive is unique per each computer. One produced 3.4gb of files and the other 4.7gb. I don't know what would happen if I switched them and tried to run recovery.

One other thing I noticed. I purchased 16gb USB2.0 PNY thumb drives that came formatted FAT32 with 8192 byte allocation units. My Win 10 machines could not use them to create a recovery drive, for any file storage, not even reformat them, until I reformatted them FAT32 16kb alloc on another Win 7 PC. Then they worked fine...we'll know more if I ever need them.