3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Excel 2016: Less fits on the screen, can't reduce

I bought a new Win10 computer. My latest problem occurs with Excel 2016. Workbooks created in Office 2010 hold more on a single page than when viewed in Excel 2016. And, if I use Scaling to reduce the overall size of the page, only the image on the screen gets smaller but no more data fits! I can reduce it to 50% and no more columns/row fit than did at 100% but the screen image in print preview mode is very small. The font is the same, etc. What is going on??? I have zillions of sheets that I'm suddenly worried won't print the same as they did in Excel 2010.

If I select to print it to 1 page wide x 1 page tall, it gets teeny. I can't even read it.

What am i missing?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've had several instances on W10 where the system stopped recognizing my printer. I had to reboot to fix it. When I rebooted, the above problem went away although the symptoms were very different. No sure why, the problem is gone. Missing windows 7....

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The above problem has recurred again. I can resolve it by rebooting, but it shouldn't be happening. I have Adobe Professional DC installed as a printer too, in addition to my Canon. I wonder if that's interring? I'd like a resolution that doesn't require that I stop what I'm doing and reboot.

Ideas out there?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    WSC3,

In general it is not a good idea to try the 1X1 option as it will force everything to contract in 2 directions left and up.

What I do is use 1 wide by [blank] tall for wide (many rowed sheets with a few more columns than would normally fit and [blank] wide by 1 tall for sheets that have just a few more rows than would normally fit.

Trying to squeeze in both directions is a very dangerous process and should only be used for sheets with maybe 1 or 2 columns and rows to many to fit on a sheet of paper.

Just my 2 cents.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    RetiredGeek: Yes, I'm totally with you. My point is that something is goofed up and changing that setting affects the image not the rows and columns that will fit on a single page. I'm trying to see if anyone else has observed this and what's causing it.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I still have this issue on and off. Anybody else witness this?

Thanks
    Have you a Excel 2010 spreadsheet you can upload (with any sensitive data removed)? I can try on my 2016 Excel and see if the problem can be replicated. I went from 2003 to 2016 via 2013, so I have no spreadsheets created in 2010.
    Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm looking....

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Late update. I really haven't created any new worksheets that I use a lot to test this. The ones I employ daily I've had for a very long time or are copies of older versions. Anyone else see this problem anyway?

Thanks
    I don't have 2016 yet, but my first guess for you is it's some printer-related setting which is the problem. Try these generic troubleshooting steps:

1. Completely uninstall the two current printers, reboot, and reinstall only the Canon. Check the default settings in the Canon driver jic there's something messed up there.

2. Check the default print settings for your Office and/or Excel 2016, especially the margin settings and the 'print area' and 'print titles' defaults.

Question: How is Word 2016 behaving, relative to this problem? Your answer should point to or from Office as the likely cause.
    Lugh.
    ~
    Windows 10 Pro x64 1607; Office 2016 (365 Home) x32; Win Defender, MBAM Pro

ASRock H97 Anniversary; Xeon E3-1231V3 (like i7)
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970; 12GB Crucial DDR3 1600
    Logitech MX Master mouse; Roccat Isku kb

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Lugh: I have my Canon printer and Adobe DC installed. I can uninstall the Canon, but I wouldn't mess with the Adobe; it's been a bit touchy under W10. It works, but I've had to call tech support at Adobe a couple of times. Not fun.

BTW: I can usually make the problem "go away" by exiting Excel, bringing it back up, and loading the sheet in question. The margin settings and print area seem okay.

Word 2016 seems fine. Does it have a reduce-size function like Excel does? I didn't know that. Where is it?

Another thing I've noticed over Office 2010 is that the Excel sheet doesn't fill the display screen under Print Display as it used to. The edges of the page ought to come to the edges of the display window as they did in 2010, I would think.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WSC3 View Post
    Word 2016 seems fine. Does it have a reduce-size function like Excel does? I didn't know that. Where is it?
    I don't have 2016, in 2013 it's at the bottom-right on the bottom 'status bar'.

Quote Originally Posted by WSC3 View Post
    the Excel sheet doesn't fill the display screen under Print Display as it used to. The edges of the page ought to come to the edges of the display window as they did in 2010, I would think.
    In 2013, in the Page Layout tab, there's a Scale to Fit section with a few choices. It's probably in 2016 also.

Without 2016, I'm probably not much, if any, help to you on this--it's a strange problem.
    Lugh.
    ~
    Windows 10 Pro x64 1607; Office 2016 (365 Home) x32; Win Defender, MBAM Pro

ASRock H97 Anniversary; Xeon E3-1231V3 (like i7)
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970; 12GB Crucial DDR3 1600
    Logitech MX Master mouse; Roccat Isku kb

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Hi WSC3

Perhaps you could post a screenshot image of what you see??

On my Windows 10 i7 system I have Excel2016, Excel2010, Excel2007, Excel2003.
    In full-screen mode, I get different visible rows depending on the Excel I use.
    I can see 'more' rows if I right-click in the top-panel Ribbon and 'minimise' the Ribbon, or turn of menus in Excel2003.

Until we see the issue you have, it is hard for us to work out what is going on.

zeddy