New Lounger
    Thanks

Xplorer2 Pro: better than PowerDesk Pro from 2015 Ultimate utility list

I just perused Tracy Capen's ultimate utility list for 2015 and noticed powerdesk pro mentioned under general utilities. I used that program a number of years ago, and then switched to xplorer2 pro, which I found to be faster than powerdesk pro. xplorer2 pro website - zabcat.com . I think xplorer2 pro is also a little cheaper . Try it out and let me know what you think.

Thanks
    I just tried xplorer2 ultimate and found it to not be intuitive at all. The frame sync function did not work at all. Zip files would not display as a tree, but I was able to extract a file by drilling down. The file display frames were strange, maybe I have to spend more time to get it right. Accessing network shares caused it to go into (Not Responding) mode for a time
    [however to be fair, many other file managers do this - I think it is a windows problem].

I still prefer FreeCommanderXE (release 715). It has a tree available for each file pane (configurable), it supports zip files as folders, has a great folder sync function. There are so many configuration options that you have to spend some time to make it work for you. It does great on network shares [but has the same problem with windows networking].

And the best part it is FREE, unless you choose to donate to the author (and get access to the BETA updates).

Thanks
    Hi,

I used the free ("lite") version of xplorer2 for a few years and it was just fine. After upgrading to a 64-bit version of Windows I paid for the Pro version of xplorer2 to get a 64-bit program allowing compatibility with the 64-bit shell context (right click) menu. I never found a need for any of the additional features in the Pro version.

But then a new version of xplorer2 came out, and it was a paid upgrade. I did not want to buy it again and so looked around...

I switched to XYplorer (free edition), which despite being a 32-bit program has supported the 64-bit shell context menu since v13.70. XYplorer works just fine. The only limitation for my purposes is that, like xplorer2 Pro, it does not show the sync. status icon overlay for folders & files on OneDrive - my one reason for occasionally using Windows 10 File Explorer.

JPL
    Last edited by jpl; 2016-02-23 at 06:40.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I switched from PowerDesk Pro to FreeCommander XE some years ago rather than pay for the newest version of PD Pro for each of my 3 computers. The only thing I haven't figured out how to do in FC XE is get it to display file size in bytes rather than KB. The directions for doing that are just gobbledegook to me. Oh, and on my wish list would be the ability to view 3 locations at a time (occasionally) rather than have to open a second instance of FC. Other than that, it does everything I want and it's free (which is always better, in my mind).

Thanks
    areader,

To set the size column in bytes, right click any of the column headers of the file list pane and select "Add/Remove columns..."

Now you see a list of column names with check marks. Check the "Size Byte(s)" entry and uncheck the "SizekB" entry and you should be good to go.

You can also create a column profile with any of your column preferences.

Thanks
    On the FreeCommander XE Version Summary page it states:

"In the context menu, entries of 64 bit programs will not be visible".

That makes it a non-starter for me on 64-bit Windows.

JPL

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There are a surprising number of choices out there. I used Norton Commander back in the 90's so it was a natural transition for me to go to Total Commander. I've looked at others since then and have not seen any reason to switch.

I generally only look at "lists" or reviews to find some kind of program I don't have but might be able to use. More often than not, if I don't have it I probably don't need it.

If you are used to something or have certain requirements that only one or two will meet then that's what you should use. If you are new to the tools, then I would turn to reviews for suggestions.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    So simple, compared to the directions I had been looking at. Thank you!

Thanks
    JPL,

Actually, using the 32 bit version of FreeCommanderXE you can see the 64 bit program context menus by following the solution shown further down on the same Version summary page:

To get a context menu with entries of 64 bit programs, FreeCommander uses an additional program FcContextMenu64.exe. This is the default. A 32 bit context menu can be selected with either LeftWin+Right Click. If with a click on the right mouse button a 32 bit context menu should appear, then you have to define ShowContextMenu64Bit = 0 in the [Form] section of freecommander.ini. LeftWin + Right Click then shows a 64-bit context menu.
    Now you can select the 32 bit context menus by holding the "LeftWin" key on the keyboard while you right click a file.

Thanks
    Well spotted. I didn't get past the headlines.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jpl View Post
    On the FreeCommander XE Version Summary page it states:

"In the context menu, entries of 64 bit programs will not be visible".

That makes it a non-starter for me on 64-bit Windows.

JPL
    I have used MultiCommander for some time now on Vista x64 and Win7 x64. Has a 64 bit version. Very good.

HTH,
    Tom

Thanks
    TotalCommander: http://www.ghisler.com/

Altap Salamander: http://www.altap.cz/

Neither are free, but both are fully featured. Have used both since before 2000 and am entirely satisfied.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.