New Lounger
    Thanks

Unable to upgrade Win8.1 to Win10

I am getting prompts from Microsoft to upgrade my laptop Windows 8.1 to windows 10. Once in a while I would attempt the upgrade. I get a message saying that my laptop OS can be upgraded to windows 10. But after I start the upgrade, a window for announcing that download has started comes up but for only a few seconds and then changes to another window that has the message Windows Upgrade is checking for upgrades. The title of the webpage is "Windows Update." No Windows 10 download!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by socampbell View Post
    I am getting prompts from Microsoft to upgrade my laptop Windows 8.1 to windows 10. Once in a while I would attempt the upgrade. I get a message saying that my laptop OS can be upgraded to windows 10. But after I start the upgrade, a window for announcing that download has started comes up but for only a few seconds and then changes to another window that has the message Windows Upgrade is checking for upgrades. The title of the webpage is "Windows Update." No Windows 10 download!
    Microsoft does classify that as an update but in reality changing from one version to a newer version is usually an Upgrade. I usually see Windows Update having a 2+GB download which is the Upgrade.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I got "update" mixed up with "upgrade." This is the correct phrase:

" . . . the message Windows Update is checking for updates."

Sorry for the confusion.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Use the Media Creation Tool to burn a Win10 upgrade image to USB, then run the setup program from Win8. Should all be fine then.
    Click on the Download tool now button to get MCT.

Don't forget to create an image backup first, just in case.

cheers, Paul

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

socampbell (2016-03-03)

Lounger
    Thanks
    >> " . . . the message Windows Update is checking for updates."<<

During the initial part of upgrading to Windows 10, I have sometimes seen this message displayed for 30-60 minutes. (Also, as part of this I've sometimes seen the "Restart Now" prompt come up and my recommendation is to NOT do this, but instead let the Windows 10 upgrade handle this part. (One of my older Intel-based MOBO machines took THREE DAYS to upgrade to Windows 10.)

Thanks
    I used the GWX icon in the notification area to reserve my free copy of Windows 10.
    2 weeks ago it appeared in Windows Update as an update.-{several GBs}
    Before checking Windows Update I got a tiny popup saying my copy was ready to use.

After installing it, it said all my personal stuff was where it was before.
    I use 8.1 Pro.

I made a Macrium image before installing 10.
    I didn't like 10 so I restored 8.1 with the image.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    Use the Media Creation Tool to burn a Win10 upgrade image to USB, then run the setup program from Win8. Should all be fine then.
    Click on the Download tool now button to get MCT.

Don't forget to create an image backup first, just in case.

cheers, Paul
    Thanks! I did take a maybe different step, though. After the MCT did its job on the flash drive that I used as the target, I ran setup.exe in the flash drive (I don't know what you mean by "run the setup program from Win8.")

If anyone wonders why I took so long to make this post, it's just that I was doing a lot of other stuff, including upgrading my desktop computer to Win10.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I meant what you did.

cheers, Paul