Thanks

Search for shell:sendto or sendto

Well I have come across another quirk of Windows. In an admin account running Explorer as admin as well, I did a search for "sendto" or "shell:sendto" (as recommended on the web as a way to get to the sendto folder) from the Users directory I got 'no results'. Digging down to C:\Users\{YourUsername}\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\ Windows\SendTo I did indeed find that folder. Choosing to Index the C:\Users\{YourUsername}\AppData directory ( which is apparently not included in Indexing by default) results in finding that directory (again from Users dir) but not the directory for my Basic user account. Choosing to add the {YourUsername} for that account to the Index changes that result to a find.

I can think of no reason for not having the Sendto folder being found. I am probably running up against behavior I should know about by now but I am baffled. Can anyone give me some explanation?
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    David,

Working from Win 7 HP search box and W10 w/Classic Shell search box both return: C:\Users\[CurrentLoggedUserid]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo

I would not expect it to return any other instance of that since it is a per user setting.

Working from the W10 Search box on the taskbar I get NaDa! All my machines have Indexing turned off on the C: drive as they are all on SSDs and Search set to My Machine only. On the laptop w/Insider version I have a second account (MS Account) and typing into the cortana box brings up a BING search, USELESS!

Looks like just another reason why I use Classic Shell or StartIsBack.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    I recall trying it from the start menu some where along the line and it did not succeed. Indexing lets it from there too. I did not mention that this was w/o hiding files or system files. I really would have thought a search was a search, maybe time for that search program I have seen recommended here.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    I used Everything and it found all the files and directories with sendto in them.

I would never had thought to use the Windows search on the taskbar to find any files or directories
    Last edited by access-mdb; 2016-02-16 at 08:33. Reason: Make last sentence clearer

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    With shell:sendto you don't need to search for it; just put that in the explorer address bar: Customize the Send To Menu in Windows 10, 8, 7, or Vista

Thanks
    access: I never use the taskbar normally either. Everything was what I was remembering!
    Bruce : So I see!

I am still bemused as to why the original search failed. Just Windows hiding its secrets from us again
    David