Star Lounger
    Thanks

Angry Autohide taskbar inconsistent

I am having a different (but I suspect related) problem with the Taskbar. I have all the programs that I use with any frequency startable from the Taskbar. I have expanded the Taskbar to 3 times its normal height and use Autohide the Taskbar to move it off the screen except for when I need to access it. About a month ago, the Autohide feature stopped working but it is always active when I reboot. I have done some experimenting and found that Autohide works when some programs are running but doesn't once I have started others. For instance, starting either Firefox or Edge will turn off the Autohide but I can run some other programs like the MS jigsaw puzzle app (in full screen mode) and Autohide will work while I am in that program but will be frozen when I exit or minimize it. Very curious. I am guessing this is a Windows bug that needs fixing but am not positive. I saw that in the last round of Windows updates, there were some updates to address Taskbar issues so maybe there are a number of things that need to be fixed. I would love it if someone else here could verify that they see this same problem when Autohide is turned on. This would confirm to me that it is a Windows bug and not just something on my computer.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    I moved this to its own thread. Please start your own thread and do not hijack a different one. Your issue is different as you stated.

Joe

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Autohide has been inconsistent for as long as I can remember. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't. You can try turning Autohide off rebooting, turn it back on, reboot again. See if it sticks.

Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    When the task bar is stuck on, try right-clicking each notification area icon until it disappears; that usually helps me identify the program which is keeping the task bar visible.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Autohide is usually inconsistent when programs don't confirm with its standards. Maybe some of your applications aren't fully WX compliant (yet) ?

You need to look for updated software rather than hunting for solutions within Windows.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I know which programs create the problem. Some of them are Microsoft programs and others aren't. Autohide worked fine until some time in January. I am pretty positive that the problem lies with Windows since I have added no new programs for quite a while. Both Edge and Firefox have been updated but other programs I have had for ages suddenly started causing the Autohide freeze. If I go switch to certain other programs, Autohide works fine while I am actively using that program but will freeze again when I switch to one of the programs known to cause the freeze. Yes, Autohide has not always been stable but it either worked on every boot or it didn't and the freezes did not occur only with particular programs. Rebooting will restore the Autohide functioning but only until I start one of the programs that cause the freeze.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, I subsequently stumbled upon a workaround. If you first stop Explorer via the Task Manager and restart it, Autohide will work subsequently. I suspect, though, to have to do this every time I reboot.