New Lounger
    Thanks

Post Create an Org Chart/Vertical Hierarchy tree with VBA

Hi all,

I'd like to make a org chart/vertical tree that is automatically created using VBA at the push of a button, similar to the tree that was done by Maudible in this thread: http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...vertical-chart. And having a button to clear the chart so I can start fresh.

Here is how my file is different...In my file there is a table that has drop down menus (to reduce the amount of data entry) in each cell. By selecting a level in one of the cells in the column named "Level" a list of names appear in the column named "Name". Selecting a different level in the "Level" column accesses a different list of names in the "Name" column. By populating the table with levels and names, I would like to make an vertical chart where Senior Managers are on top, Managers under Senior Managers, and Asst Managers under Managers. Regardless of the amount of Names at a certain level, their position on the chart should not change. I imagine that I would have to use the IF function to make this work but I am learning VBA and very much a novice. I included an example in the "Output Example" tab to show what I am looking for. But the way the chart was done by Maudible in the above link is exactly what I am trying to duplicate.

Please Help!! See doc: Staffing Doc.xlsx

Thanks
    Rush,

Attached is your modified worksheet that builds a hierarchy tree based on the values in your Lavel and Name columns. The code assumes:

1. There is a single position level above the Senior Manager. I used CEO to code it.

2. The hierarchy is CEO > Senior Manager > Manager > Assistant Manager and there are no skipped in-between levels. Ex CEO > Senior Manager > Assistant Manager. If so, you will be warned and directed where the hierarchy is broken.

3. You can have multiple levels Ex. CEO > Senior Manager > Manager1 > Manager2 > Assistant manager

4. Titles (Levels) fall in the branch of the higher title above it. In the above example (#3), the Assistant Manager will be under Manager2 because of the order

5. Levels have alternating colors: CEO (yellow), Senior Managers (green), Managers (yellow), Assistant Manager (green).

HTH,
    Maud

StaffingDoc1.png

StaffingDoc2.png
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Maudibe; 2016-02-19 at 16:21.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Maud! This is absolutely amazing and exactly what I wanted. Thank you. I hope I can get to the level where I can do this without needing help from forums. Again many many thanks

New Lounger
    Thanks

Need your help

Hey Maudibe,
    I know this is an old thread, hope you can still see this. Anyway I'm facing a similar but much simpler problem here.
    Basically my database contains 2 columns: Staff name and 'Report_to', I need to build an org chart using VBA, something similar to what you have wrote up there.
    Could you please help with this? Very much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Maudibe View Post
    Rush,

Attached is your modified worksheet that builds a hierarchy tree based on the values in your Lavel and Name columns. The code assumes:

1. There is a single position level above the Senior Manager. I used CEO to code it.

2. The hierarchy is CEO > Senior Manager > Manager > Assistant Manager and there are no skipped in-between levels. Ex CEO > Senior Manager > Assistant Manager. If so, you will be warned and directed where the hierarchy is broken.

3. You can have multiple levels Ex. CEO > Senior Manager > Manager1 > Manager2 > Assistant manager

4. Titles (Levels) fall in the branch of the higher title above it. In the above example (#3), the Assistant Manager will be under Manager2 because of the order

5. Levels have alternating colors: CEO (yellow), Senior Managers (green), Managers (yellow), Assistant Manager (green).

HTH,
    Maud

StaffingDoc1.png

StaffingDoc2.png