Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

How to make laptop battery power last longer?

I have a Dell Inspiron 17 Laptop. I have just replaced my battery as the previous battery used to run down within 3 hours. The same thing happens with the new battery

Is there a way so as to extend the battery power by changing various settings on the Laptop? If so, please let me know as I would like the battery power to last longer. When I bought the Laptop 18 months ago, the battery lasted +- 6 hours before having to be recharged

Your assistance in this regard in most appreciated

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Does the battery report being fully changed? Maybe the charging circuit is not well - new mobo time.
    What CPU use do you have when the lappy is being used?
    Can you boot from a recovery /Linux live CD and let the machine run to empty? How long does it last?

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    If you can get three hours of life out of a Dell battery, you're doing really well.

In my experience, Dell batteries deteriorate rather quickly - they soon get to the point where they won't hold much of a charge. When this happens, your battery has a "memory", that is, an area which won't hold a charge. It got so bad for me on my 2007 Dell laptop that my battery would last about 10 minutes and then die -- as soon as Windows got fully loaded, the laptop would shut off.

I purchased two things to mitigate the situation: a long extension cord, so I could plug in everywhere I went; and an A/C inverter for my car, so I could plug in while in the car.

Here are some things you might try, to keep your battery from developing a memory:
    * Once the battery is fully charged, don't leave it plugged in, unless you are planning on taking your laptop with you soon. (I.e., you want to make sure it is fully charged when you take it with you.)
    * Deplete the battery all the way down every now and then (say, every two weeks), then fully charge it. (There is disagreement on this point.)
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2016-02-17 at 08:23.

Thanks
    Is the replacement battery an OEM original from Dell that matches the first battery's specs exactly (voltage/capacity/no.of cells)? If not then it's unlikely that the performance will be the same, even if the laptop's charging ability has remained the same. Did the replacement battery come with advice about 'conditioning' it, i.e. how to treat its first few discharge/charge cycles? If so, did you follow the advice?

As for tweaking the settings on your laptop, have a look at this How to Increase Your Windows Laptopís Battery Life article, particularly the section on using the built-in Power Troubleshooter. A quick way to call up the Power Troubleshooter is to press the WIN key + R key together then, in the Run text box, enter msdt -id PowerDiagnostic (just copy and paste). This works for Windows 7/8/8.1/10.

You can also use the PowerCfg tool to generate an Energy report (and to diagnose a failing battery). Have a look at the Use the Hidden PowerCfg Tool to Optimize Battery Life on Windows article for more info about using PowerCfg.

I've just tested Nir Sofer's free and portable BatteryInfoView in Windows 10. The web page says it "works on any version of Windows, starting from windows 2000 and up to Windows 7". However, if it works in Windows 10 then it should also work in 8/8.1. The tool is useful for checking your battery's original capacity versus its current capacity/charge state as an indicator of wear. Note that it only shows what the battery manufacturer provides, i.e. it can't show things like battery manufacture date if the battery doesn't have this information available.

BatteryInfoView.png
    Click to enlarge

Its Battery Log view lets you log rate of discharge and is useful if you use standby/hibernate and want to see how much battery charge is lost whilst suspended.

Hope this helps...
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2016-02-17 at 08:55. Reason: Added info about BatteryInfoView

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

CLiNT (2016-02-17),dg1261 (2016-02-17)

Thanks
    Also, if a laptop is a high-end video unit, that high-end video eats up battery pretty quickly. My Acers [said to be both high-end video and gaming laptops] batteries run for about 1 hour, if I'm doing moderate things.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    It is possible that the charging circuit is problematic-will need to get this checked out. My CPU is 2.30 GHZ

I do not have a recovery CD. Not sure how to create this

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your input

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Rick

Thanks for your input, links and advise

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your reply. My Laptop is not a high end video unit

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Nice tip re: BatteryInfoView, Rick. I think the first thing I'd do is use BatteryInfoView and compare the Wear Level/Full Charged Capacity of the old battery vs. the new battery. Maybe the new battery isn't any better than the old one.

ISTR listening to a podcast recently that mentioned somebody testing a bunch of supposedly "new" replacement batteries and discovering some wouldn't hold more than half their rated capacity. Wish I could remember where that came from ... does that ring a bell with anyone else?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dg1261
    ISTR listening to a podcast recently that mentioned somebody testing a bunch of supposedly "new" replacement batteries and discovering some wouldn't hold more than half their rated capacity. Wish I could remember where that came from ... does that ring a bell with anyone else?
    It's getting off-topic but was it this? http://rightbattery.podbean.com/

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    In my experience replacement batteries (even if ordered at the time of laptop purchase and looking the same as the original battery) don't last as long a charge.

Batteries do deteriorate even unused over time even if properly stored at 40% charge.

Batteries have a finite number of charges (300-500). After that they degrade in their ability to hold a charge.

3rd party batteries can either rock or suck. Wish I knew of a reliable outlet. Had pretty good luck but the two clinkers I had you really couldn't tell from prior successes why they stunk.

Clean the contacts on the battery and laptop with contact cleaner.

The battery has a warranty. If it is not holding a full charge replace it. If the replacement still doesn't hold a full charge then it might be your laptop which are rarely worth repairing outside of warranty.

Also in my experience battery saving options generally result in 20 minutes more battery life at the expenses of convenience. With a low power model maybe 40 minutes which might be worth it.
    Last edited by Fascist Nation; 2016-02-17 at 17:30.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Rick

By following the instructions in How to Increase Your Windows Laptopís Battery Life , it has made a difference

No sure what the info in batteryinfo view means-see attached

Please check & advise
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by HowardC; 2016-02-17 at 22:05.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Download Slax Linux for CD or USB and burn it.
    Boot from the CD / USB and see how the battery goes.

cheers, Paul

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    A Wear Level of 94.7% is very good for a new battery (I think 90-95% is typical), and a discharge rate of 24080 mWh sounds to me right in line for a 17" laptop (the display is going to be the biggest power drain), so those figures look good.

I'm curious about the Designed Capacity, though. 41440 (roughly 41Wh) seems kind of small for a 17" laptop battery.

However, a quick look on eBay for "Inspiron 17 battery" turns up a number of 40Wh batteries* so I guess that rating is not unusual. But note those are 4-cell batteries so they're not long-life batteries. Those aren't going to be as robust or have the capacity of regular 6-cell batteries*, which appear to be in the neighborhood of 60Wh.

Can you put the old battery back in and see how these stats compare?

* (I don't know which 17/17R model you have, so I just used the 3721 as a sample to lookup.)

17. The Following User Says Thank You to dg1261 For This Useful Post:

HowardC (2016-02-18)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast