New Lounger
    Thanks

Trying to switch back system configuration...

...because in the process of trying to fix something.

I set System Startup via MSconfig to "Normal" (can't exactly remember, ,but it was the bottom radio button). After that, the computer is COMPLETELY unbootable. Or repairable by MS's installation disc, period.

I am running off my previous Win7 that I upgraded from. This is my secondfary cloned drive for usual backup. I have now also plugged the drive with Win10 and am able to see the files.

What I am trying to do is edit what msconfig changed from "Selective Startup" to "Normal" (?) back to selective.

This would save me from having do a complete re-install, and all the tweaks, finds and last wrap-ups.

Any chances of this being possible? Thanks

Thanks
    After that, the computer is COMPLETELY unbootable. Or repairable by MS's installation disc, period.
    I doubt trying to edit MSCONFIF's boot settings is going to do anything for you.
    You might try re-creating your boot files over again using a boot disc via a command prompt. (with the drive connected alone as primary)

DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have just gotten to this exact point. I haven't been dealt with this stuff in a long time.

As far as I can tell, if this is what Microsoft's Repair does, it (Windows) will not get to that. I'm talking from the installation disk. And I can't make a boot disc. ?? I am coming from a Win7->10 upgrade, and I didn't get to make a restore disc yet.

I'm beginning to lose focus because of all of the attempts to try.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Another thing that I found is in the registry. HKEY_LOCAL/SYSTEM/ControlSet001, ControlSet002 & CurrentControlSet. I was thinking these may be the different profiles and I was going to rename one of 001 or 002 to Current. Does this look at all like the case?

I know enough to be dangerous and am going out on a limb, but at this point it is about OK to totally trash it.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I was at the same EXACT page when your message came in

New Lounger
    Thanks
    OMG, I got it. It made the day's persistence a pay off which would have lead to to probably three more days of installation/updating/tweaking/knowing I forgot something that I did before. I'd say you are a pro. In one comment you put it right at what needed to be done.

As much as I have bashed Microsoft, and judging from the last time I screwed something up messing with partitioning, I have to give credit where credit is due for MS making a stout foundation! I was impressed then by the recovery then, and it recovered again!

For anybody getting into a similar situation that is a notch more novice than me, I would like to clarify some of the procedure. The partial and uninformative verbiage may make you hesitant to continue further, but it is OK:

-Boot from DVD installation disc. Click "No" for clean installation.
    -At the lower left of this screen, a small sentence, click on "Repair..."
    -Troubleshoot (for advanced)
    -Command Prompt

@ the command prompt screen, enter the line commands:

>bootrec /rebuildbcd

If you are coming from an upgrade install, it will find two Windows installations. It will stop and ask you if you want to include this one. The answer is yes. A second will be asked about Windows form the old install. I didn't and wouldn't recommend including this one. Continue.

>bootrec /fixmbr
    >bootrec /fixboot

>exit

Shut down computer. Restart. Computer should bootup into Windows from the fixed drive.

Thanks, its been 12 hrs. I'm out of here. Well, that is back to trying to fix what is started with.

BTW, I confirmed that in MSCONFIG, "Normal" is selected in the General boot tab. I don't don't know what changed this to "Selective", but I know it wasn't like that. This is where I started this whole mess.

Thanks again!