New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 10 Can't print to pdf

Subject: Can't print to pdf
    I have a strange problem that just started in the past few days. I tried to print a document from Excel (also tried Word, Chrome, etc) using Microsoft's print to PDF in Windows 10 which has worked fine for months. But, either nothing happens when I tell it to save the file or I get a memory error. I tried everything I could think of from removing it from Programs and Features...turning off the feature, rebooting, then turning it back on and countless other things. Nothing would make it work. Sure I can tell Excel to "Save as " pdf, but it has always worked using either Nitro Pro 10's print to pdf or Microsofts...neither will work now. I Googled it only to find others with the same problem with no answer that worked from Microsoft or others until finally reading a from one reader that said if you run your program as Administrator it will work. I tried it and sure enough all programs then can print. But, my question is why should I have to run these programs as Administrator just to print a pdf file. All other printer on my system, lan, all print fine...just the pdf has become an issue. Any ideas?

I am thinking it might be some M.S. recent update???

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary T. Richardson
    I am thinking it might be some M.S. recent update???
    There were issues reported last August (i.e. before the big November update) but I can't see any in the last few days. Perhaps I just haven't looked hard/well enough.

Can you give a bit more information? What version (Home/Pro), Build and 'bitness' (x32/x64) are you using?

What are the latest updates you see if you check the update history list? I see 3 delivered/installed yesterday. However, you may have had the same or different a day or two earlier.

latest-updates.png
    Click to enlarge

Edit: There were also a couple of hidden updates to Windows Defender definitions, but you won't see these unless you use something like Nir Sofer's WinUpdatesList (which he says "works on Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows 2000, and Windows XP"). As you can see, it also works on Windows 10 (and Windows 7; I haven't tried on Windows 8/8.1)

latest-updates1.png
    Click to enlarge

Hope this helps...
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2016-02-17 at 19:21. Reason: Added more info

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Using Windows 10 Pro and it is all up to dateUpdates.jpg

Thanks
    Your screenshot shows only one update for C++... and it's been installed 14 times, 7 times just today.

I think it might be an idea to resolve this behaviour first. Have a look at this Windows 10 keeps reinstalling KB3119142 article.

Hope this helps...

New Lounger
    Thanks
    It started working today...after several days of not working. After that, I realized too how kb3119142 and been stalled 13 times (Successfully) and uninstalled both the 32 bit and 64 bit versions via Programs and Features. Then re-installed both via their executables. Checked updates and it reinstalled multiple (Successful) updates again. I tried printing again and Microsoft print to pdf is still working. Why it started working today I don't know. My Nitro 10 print to pdf would not work either previously...it still will not work. I don't need it, of course, with Microsoft Print to pdf working again. I had only tried Nitro when M.S. wouldn't work. How long it hadn't worked, I don't know.

Thanks
    I'm glad it's now working for you.

Just bear in mind that Microsoft's Print to PDF doesn't seem to be particarly efficient in terms of generated file sizes. For example, I use Foxit Reader which, like Nitro, has a 'Print to PDF' driver. As a test I 'printed' the first page of a web page that included a photo using both MS and Foxit. The PDF created by Microsoft's Print to PDF was a very much larger file size than the one created by Foxit Reader. I looked at both PDF's side by side and couldn't see any difference in visual quality. As a result I don't use Microsoft's Print to PDF. You may wish to do your own comparison tests with Nitro.

Hope this helps...

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your time and replies.