Thread: IE11 crashing

New Lounger
    Thanks

IE11 crashing

Following Fred Langa's recent column, I upgraded to IE11 with the intention of implementing the security settings as discussed in that column. (Win7 Home Premium system)

When I tried to run the upgraded IE, it crashed (Internet Explorer has stopped working), with an error report listing the 'fault module' as MSHTML.DLL (actually two reports - I assume for the 32 bit and 64 bit versions).

Following is the problem signature for the 64 bit version:
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: BEX64
    Application Name: iexplore.exe
    Application Version: 11.0.9600.18163
    Application Timestamp: 566c4d4a
    Fault Module Name: mshtml.dll
    Fault Module Version: 11.0.9600.18212
    Fault Module Timestamp: 56b5ce06
    Exception Offset: 000000000040b2c7
    Exception Code: c0000409
    Exception Data: 0000000000000000
    OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
    Locale ID: 4105
    Additional Information 1: 8eb3
    Additional Information 2: 8eb3796dffb3db72aabe9566990800c7
    Additional Information 3: 484f
    Additional Information 4: 484fec5577aa2d02d770e8ce4a2b9cb9
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    (Interesting - if I search for mshtml.dll on my system, I find over 50 copies.)

I ran system file checker - no integrity violations found.

Ran MS Fixits 51001 (and 51002) to Enable (and then Disable) CVE-2013 mshtml.dll shim workaround. Did not solve the problem.

One of the prerequisite updates (KB2533623) was missing, but when attempting to install it, there was a message that it was not required.

Using Win Patrol, I removed all IE helpers; same result.

Following suggestions from Googling the problem, I tried running in Safe Mode (It ran OK, and I later entered the suggested security settings this way), but using a clean boot and disabling services to try to find an offender, the crash always occurred, even when all MS services were disabled.

If I uninstall IE11, I can run IE10 OK, but it gives me the message that I should upgrade to IE11 since other versions are not supported after 16 Jan. If I upgrade to IE11 using the supplied link, the crash recurs. (The version numbers listed are slightly different from those given above.)

This problem is similar to that posted on 9 February by BillWilson, but I felt the differences were worth starting a new thread. However, note that I did install the plus version of LastPass recently after acquiring a tablet; but removing LastPass addons did not make a difference in my case.

Can anyone suggest other steps to try?

Thanks, Bill

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I could be wrong but if I'm right I think the last time I tried to install E11 I had uninstall E10 first its been awhile but try to uninstall E10 reboot and then install E11

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the suggestion. I uninstalled IE11 (using the installed updates list) to get IE10, which started normally, and uninstalled IE10 the same way, to get IE8 which again started normally. IE8 was not in the installed updates list, so I reinstalled IE11 using the installation link in Fred Langa's article. Same result as before - crashed with the same notification.

So I am still looking for suggestions.
    Bill

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I’ve had a similar issue. I found that after installing LastPass, I had to open Internet Options and on the Security tab, uncheck the “Enable Protected Mode” for the “Internet Zone”. This fixed the issue, but I don't like it as an option.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by burnse33 View Post
    I’ve had a similar issue. I found that after installing LastPass, I had to open Internet Options and on the Security tab, uncheck the “Enable Protected Mode” for the “Internet Zone”. This fixed the issue, but I don't like it as an option.
    I've got protected Mode enabled on IE 11 and with LastPass installed, it works fine.

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Solved! (I'm not sure why.)

Following Susan Bradley's suggestion in her latest Patch Watch, I installed EMET version 5.5. I accepted the default configuration (I am not especially knowledgeable about this stuff.) Anyway, after doing so, IE11 ran and I was able to implement Fred Langa's security settings.

So, my problem is apparently solved. (I do not normally use IE for browsing, and so will not be exercising it extensively.

Thank you to all who considered this problem.
    Bill

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have the same problem that Bhm3961 has. I downloaded IE11 to replace IE10 as requested by a M/S popup box. IE10 was deleted. After IE11 was installed it seems to crash before it even loads so I now cannot get to the internet. My email and other applications still get to the internet OK My EMET program is Ver 5.0 and I tried to upgrade to Ver 5.5 but cannot find any upgrade link in EMET and cannot get to the M/S website. Anyone have any suggestions?
    I am an oldie-newbie. I started writing programs in machine actual in the 1950's and have been retired for almost 30 years and it is hard to keep up anymore. Thanks for any help.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The EMET 5.5 link I used is in Susan Bradley's 25 February 'Patch Watch' column in the section entitled "A security flaw in older EMET software". You obviously need an alternate browser to access it. Hope it works for you - let us know.

Bill

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs up Thanks for your help

Quote Originally Posted by Bhm3961 View Post
    The EMET 5.5 link I used is in Susan Bradley's 25 February 'Patch Watch' column in the section entitled "A security flaw in older EMET software". You obviously need an alternate browser to access it. Hope it works for you - let us know.

Bill
    Thanks a lot. I downloaded EMET-5.5 to my laptop and copied it to a flash drive. I then installed it on my laptop computer and Internet Explorer !! started right up fine. I do not know why M/S cannot simplify their instructions to make them easier for us old folk to understand like you did. Thanks again for your help.