Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks

Frozen pointer and BSOD

Lately my pointer has been freezing mid-screen followed by BSOD stating: "Unexpected_Kernal_Mode_Trap" Bluescreenview shows the fault lies with ntoskrnl.exe and rtkhdaud.sys. Also noted in the BSOD and Bluescreenview are: Ox1000007F, Ox00000008 and OxF771fd70. I would appreciate any assistance in fixing this. Thank you.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Did you install any new drivers, any new or updated apps, or peripherals or internal equipment recently?

If no: I would guess because of the stop 7 error with the 0x00000008 parameter error that it is a hardware issue on aging equipment. A recurring kernel mode error is a bad one. Both of those files are system files, one part of the kernel and the other allowing OS communication with hardware.

If you run a LiveCD of Linux Mint, or Ubuntu on your system (note: this is not an install; run 100% in RAM) for a reasonable length of time in which you would expect the freeze/BSOD to occur, and do not experience the freeze/BSOD then you know it involves the OS/driver/startup app (or boot drive). I would back up your boot drive image, disconnect any secondary drives and then run sfc /scannow on the PC. Have your OS disk standing by.

If it still has that issue then try a repair installation. If it still has the issue (and it really shouldn't) try updating the BIOS to the final revision available as well as any firmware updates to drives (if any) and update all drivers to most recent available starting with the chipset and SATA drivers. If still an issue replace the boot drive.

If you do get a freeze/BSOD running Linux then it is hardware caused. Disconnect all non-essential peripherals.

Additionally you can boot and run memtest86+ on the system to test memory. 7 passes with zero errors or more before stopping = pass. Stop on any error. Replace RAM on error, lifetime warranty unless OEM system and the RAM maker knows it. Used RAM is cheap on eBay if old.

You can download the boot drive test app from the drive maker's support site and run it. May need a boot version if available. If fails replace drive (hopefully under warranty).

A similar freeze/BSOD during either of these test apps (if booted up) again confirms a unknown hardware cause.

I would also install HWMonitor and see what values it is giving for temps and voltages though it is not so much useful unless you saved a baseline when it was working well to compare it to.

If both pass, I would try one stick of RAM and then the other. While in the cabinet I would sniff around for burnt smells and look for carbon deposits or other stains. Then clean out the case of dust (outside), especially in the heat sink(s). Inspect the motherboard and anywhere else for bulged or popped caps, stains, molten solder. Make sure fans are working including PSU fan.

The last would be to strip components out of the case to run a minimal setup and see if it works, leaving one of the disconnected peripherals/parts guilty. If you have the resources to plug a replacement part in or plug the part into another PC to test do so. In the end you may be left with a few parts you cannot test without buying and replacing and you will have to decide if the system is worth it rather than putting the money towards replacing the PC.
    Last edited by Fascist Nation; 2016-02-18 at 19:02.

Thanks
    Thank you, FN, for the very thorough explanation of how to troubleshoot/fix this sort of problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascist Nation View Post
    Used RAM is cheap on eBay if old.
    So cheap, in fact, that you can afford the risk of buying used RAM, because if you happen to get a bad one, you lost very little money in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascist Nation View Post
    If you have the resources to plug a replacement part in or plug the part into another PC to test do so.
    I used to work in a school system where just about every computer was identical. So if I suspected that a part was bad in one computer, I could easily swap parts with another computer to see if, in fact, the part in question was bad.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You can also use a log interpreter like BlueScreenView.

cheers, Paul

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

BlueNumber (2016-02-23)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    You can also use a log interpreter like BlueScreenView.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNumber View Post
    ... Bluescreenview shows the fault lies with ntoskrnl.exe and rtkhdaud.sys. Also noted in the BSOD and Bluescreenview are: Ox1000007F, ...

STOP 0x0000007F: UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP (same as Ox1000007F)
    Usual causes: Memory corruption, Hardware (memory in particular), Overclocking failure, Installing a faulty or mismatched hardware (especially memory) or a failure after installing it, 3rd party firewall, Device drivers, SCSI/network/BIOS updates needed, Improperly seated cards, Incompatible storage devices, Overclocking, Virus scanner, Backup tool, Bad motherboard, Missing Service Pack
    Usual causes are listed in order of frequency.

rtkhdaud.sys is your Realtek HD audio driver, see if you can find an updated version: http://www.realtek.com/downloads/dow...&GetDown=false or from your motherboard/PC maker.

If you can copy the minidump to your Desktop, zip and attach it, I'll take a look at it. Better still, follow the instructions here and then attach the required zipped folders, it'll give us a lot more to work with.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to satrow For This Useful Post:

BlueNumber (2016-02-23)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satrow View Post
    ....rtkhdaud.sys is your Realtek HD audio driver,.....
    Son of a b@#%$h!!!! When I did a search I did not see that pop up. That changes a lot. Indeed, update the driver from the Realtek site.

If that fails to clear up the issue, try disabling audio in BIOS. And remove the audio driver. Hopefully that clears it up.

Buy a replacement audio for your PC. I like this...cheap and works. Just plug in your speakers and plug it into a back USB2 port.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...9SIA24G28M8615

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Fascist Nation For This Useful Post:

BlueNumber (2016-02-22)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you, Fascist Nation, for your thoughtful and detailed response to my post. Please note that I have not installed any new drivers, any new or updated apps, or peripherals or internal equipment recently. Kindly note the following:

1) I booted up again last night and got another BSOD and on the screen it said IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL; Ox0000000A (Ox80557444, Ox000000FF, Ox00000001, Ox804FA7DE)
    2) ran MemTest+ V5.01, froze at 00:01:25; I ended the test.
    3) ran MemTest V4.3.7, test 3 had 2044 errors; froze at 0:00:12; I ended test.
    4) re-ran MemTest+ V5.01 just to see what, if anything, would happen; test 5, screen was as red as a firetruck; "failing address" and the "Count" was spinning like a top with ever increasing numbers; I ended the test.
    5) re-ran MemTest V4.3.7 just to see what, if anything, would happen; froze at nine seconds; "unexpected interrupt - halting CPU1". I ended the test.

Next, I'm going to vacuum inside the box and, as you suggested, check that the fans are all working, check for bulged or popped caps, stains and then run the memory tests again. I have Everest, instead of HWMonitor. Is that all right?

Thanks again, Fascist Nation. I will let you know what happens.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Dude, update the Realtek Audio driver!!!!
    http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...=1#post1045593

If that doesn't stop it then disble the audio and see if that works:
    http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...=1#post1045616

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you, satrow, for your reply. Looking at the link you graciously provided, I can download the following: ALC5621 (Datasheets), High Definition Audio Codecs (Software), AC'97 Audio Codecs (Software). Do you know which, if any, I should download? Also, before downloading the new driver, do I need to remove the old one? Thank you.
    Last edited by BlueNumber; 2016-02-23 at 02:37.

Thanks
    High Definition Audio Codecs (Software), an over the top install should suffice.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to satrow For This Useful Post:

BlueNumber (2016-02-23)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Usual causes are listed in order of frequency.

rtkhdaud.sys is your Realtek HD audio driver, see if you can find an updated version: http://www.realtek.com/downloads/dow...&GetDown=false or from your motherboard/PC maker.

If you can copy the minidump to your Desktop, zip and attach it, I'll take a look at it. Better still, follow the instructions here and then attach the required zipped folders, it'll give us a lot more to work with.
    Here's the minidump. Thanks. https://www.sendspace.com/file/w8vae8

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    High Definition Audio Codecs (Software), an over the top install should suffice.
    Do I want the executable or the zip file or does it not matter? Thank you.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Doesn't matter but executable is easier.

Thanks
    The text file wasn't the dump, I'd like C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini022216-01.dmp, copy it to your Desktop, zip it and attach the zip file, please.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I downloaded the Realtek driver and after working on the computer for about 20 minutes, the pointer froze again, system made a constant, steady and low ripple noise but no BSOD. I re-booted, system came up and then BSOD. Attached are two minidump files, one from before the installation of the Realtek driver and one from right after. (Sorry. I thought the BlueScreenView was the same as the minidump file.) Thanks for your assistance.

Mini022216-01-before RealTek driver download.zip
    Mini022416-01-after RealTek driver download.zip

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast