Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Good browser for Windows Vista

My elderly friend who lives two states away uses an old Windows Vista desktop computer and the Google Chrome browser. This evening, she wrote to say that the browser had opened with a notice that Google will "soon" end support for Chrome on Windows Vista. I looked it up and found that the end will come sometime this April. Of course, she wants to know what that means for her. Can she continue to use Chrome after April?

I want to advise her to not continue using an unsupported browser, but really, what should she do? Microsoft will stop supporting Vista in April 2017. Can she still get updates to Windows Internet Explorer? Should she download another browser? I'm gonna try to talk her into getting a nice inexpensive laptop with Windows 10 and put all these dusty operating systems and browsers behind her. Failing that, I want to give her some sound advice. I'll appreciate any help from the good people in the Lounge.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Caesar3 View Post
    My elderly friend who lives two states away uses an old Windows Vista desktop computer and the Google Chrome browser. This evening, she wrote to say that the browser had opened with a notice that Google will "soon" end support for Chrome on Windows Vista. I looked it up and found that the end will come sometime this April. Of course, she wants to know what that means for her. Can she continue to use Chrome after April?

I want to advise her to not continue using an unsupported browser, but really, what should she do? Microsoft will stop supporting Vista in April 2017. Can she still get updates to Windows Internet Explorer? Should she download another browser? I'm gonna try to talk her into getting a nice inexpensive laptop with Windows 10 and put all these dusty operating systems and browsers behind her. Failing that, I want to give her some sound advice. I'll appreciate any help from the good people in the Lounge.
    I've just gone through the same with a client, installed Firefox 43 after removing Chrome. There has been some postings about Microsoft ending support for IE except the latest.
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Wind...-of-IE-support

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Berton For This Useful Post:

Caesar3 (2016-02-18)

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Firefox! I'd forgotten about that one. Well, I've written to her and recommended that she seriously consider replacing her old desktop. I honestly believe that's the best approach, for a number of reasons. But I will mention Firefox as one way to delay the inevitable. Thanks a bunch!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Caesar3 View Post
    Firefox! I'd forgotten about that one. Well, I've written to her and recommended that she seriously consider replacing her old desktop. I honestly believe that's the best approach, for a number of reasons. But I will mention Firefox as one way to delay the inevitable. Thanks a bunch!
    You're welcome. I've talked my client out of Upgrading his Vista to Win10 since it'd come close to half the cost of a new one and no warranty but due to awaiting medical bills to arrive it will be awhile, just keeping him going.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I haven't mentioned Windows 10 yet, and I'm not sure her machine will support it. Even if it does, I strongly believe she'll be better off with a laptop. I recently helped her with a problem with her sound. She'd taken the machine to a certain well-known national electronics retail chain store in her area for service, and when she brought it home she couldn't get any sound. I suggested that perhaps she'd plugged her speakers into the wrong port (the microphone port). This 87-year-old woman had to get down on the floor under her desk to find the problem, which sure enough was exactly what I'd suggested. I admire her for her pluck—a lot of women (and men!) would never get down on their knees to fiddle with wires and cables like that. A laptop will be so much less bother for her—I just hope she'll see the advantage.

Thanks
    There's no hurry on upgrading her version of Windows. If everything is working fine (other than Chrome), I'd keep her right where she's at -- with Vista, and with the same computer.

Also, consider the idea that an 87-year-old person might have a difficult time learning a new version of Windows. If she does well with Vista, she might not be very happy with a whole new way of doing everything.

As far as putting her on a laptop, if she gets a keyboard and a mouse, and a big monitor (big monitors are cheaper every day), she won't even notice the difference.

As Berton mentioned above, install Firefox on her computer. In my opinion, that's the only thing that needs to be changed.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

Caesar3 (2016-02-20)

Thanks
    I haven't mentioned Windows 10 yet, and I'm not sure her machine will support it.
    Upgrading Vista to WX is not worth the headache for someone who isn't tech inclined.
    She's better off keeping Vista for now and going with Firefox for a browser, or purchasing a new WX system when Vista's support is up.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    IE9 support will end for Vista SP2 when Vista support ends Apr. 11, 2017. I wouldn't recommend IE anyway. MS has pretty much shed it except IE11, and even that they are not happy about supporting. I can't see them doing a great job for Vista users and IE9.

Disappointed Chrome is giving the bird to Vista users. I'd do a Mozilla engine (Firefox, Thunderbird (email), PaleMoon, Seamonkey (browser and email), whatever). Fairly certain its support will continue for the next few years.
    Last edited by Fascist Nation; 2016-02-20 at 18:42.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I may be a wee bit late here BUT:
    Firefox certainly is the route to go. But PLEASE do not do as previously told, do NOT uninstall Chrome before you install FF. The other way around is correct.

FF has in its bookmarks manager (Bookmarks, Show All Bookmarks or Ctrl+Shift+B, Import and Backup, Import Date from Another Browser) a neat feature. You can select the browser to import from AND you can select to import only the bookmarks and none of the other crud that builds up over time.

The biggest thing is that you (or your friend) definitely should install two add-ons (or extensions) in FF:
    1. AdBlock Plus and
    2. WOT (Web Of Trust)

For my many elderly customers these have proven to be (computer-) life savers.

When that is done and everything works is the point in time to uninstall Chrome. But you could just as well just delete the desktop and task bar icons; who goes exploring in he menus anyway?
    Last edited by eikelein; 2016-02-24 at 06:36. Reason: Clarification
    Eike J Heinze
    What I am about
    SE Wisconsin

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Great advice! Thank you for that information. I haven't heard back from my friend yet. She may yet choose to take the Windows 10 plunge with a new laptop. If she decides to keep the old machine for now and install Firefox, your tip will be very useful.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    @Caesar3
    Thanks, glad to help.

If your friend gets a Win 10 machine please read this article on my blog. Send me a PM if you want more information.
    Eike J Heinze
    What I am about
    SE Wisconsin

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I read your blog—very interesting. Thanks for the tip and the offer for more help. My friend and I are still in the talking phase. I'll probably come back here pretty soon.