Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Increasing memory performance of Excel without moving to 64-bit Office

I would like to know whether there is a way to optimise the memory performance of Office 2013 without upgrading to Office 64 Bit. I have 16 GB of Ram and use Windows 10 64 bit. The processor is 2.30GHZ

Thanks
    What makes you think your system is "too slow"? Do you have particularly large and complex spreadsheets and/or are running spreadsheets with many complex macros?
    (My Setup: Custom built: 3,70GHz Intel Core i7-4820K CPU; MSI Military Class iii X79A-GD45 Plus Motherboard; Win 10 Pro (64 bit) - (UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; GeForceGTX 980 4GB Graphics Card; Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2015 Premium, NIS 2016, VMWare Workstation12 Pro, etc). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the reply. My system is fast, but I often run out of resources when running a macro to open several files and then run macros within those files

I am looking for a way to prevent this from happening

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    Howard,

See this MS Article as a start.

Do the files have to be open at the same time? If not open then one at a time to save resources.

When you close a file if you have assigned it to an object variable do you clear the object e.g. Set objectname = Nothing.

Are you using global or module level variables? If so look at eliminating them by passing arguments to subroutines and functions instead.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

5. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

HowardC (2016-02-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    Howard,

Here's an even better MS Article on solving your problem.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your input and advise RG

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    When you close a file if you have assigned it to an object variable do you clear the object e.g. Set objectname = Nothing.
    I once had to troubleshoot a program which would crash at random times. You never knew how far it would go before it would crash, but it would never successfully finish.

I found that there was a subroutine in the program which would allocate memory and then do its processing, but it would never free up the memory it allocated. Hence, the program used up all available memory and then crashed. I added a line of code in the subroutine to free up the allocated memory after it did its processing, and the program no longer crashed.

That was in C, and this is in VB, but it sounds like the same concept.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your input

Hopefully one of the loungers will be able to provide with a line of code to free up the allocated memory after the processing has been done

Please post your code so that one of the loungers proficient in VBA, will be able to adapt your code for VBA purposes

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HowardC View Post
    Please post your code so that one of the loungers proficient in VBA, will be able to adapt your code for VBA purposes
    That was ages ago; I don't remember the exact coding.

As RetiredGeek described in post #4, the idea is to do good housekeeping in your program: if you create something, remove it when you are done with it; if you allocate memory, free it up when you are done with it. Also, limit the scope of things to only where they are needed: don't make things active for the entire program, but just in the areas that they are needed. Anyone proficient in VB will know how to do these things. I don't know VB, or I'd take a stab at it.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I am going to upgrade to Office 2013 64 Bit and will advise if this resolves my problem

Thanks
    FYI, setting objects to Nothing doesn't really achieve anything unless you are using Public variables. You can't control when/if garbage collection occurs and the references to local variables will be removed automatically when the relevant code finishes.
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I have upgraded to Office 64 bit today on my Laptop and have had many files open and ran several macros , without running out of memory resources

I will test for a few weeks, before upgrading to Office 64 on my work PC

Will keep you informed

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Office 2013 64 bit has been great as one can run macro on large workbooks without any memory issue. 64 Bit office can use more the max memory on the system as opposed to 2GB max on 32 bit office

The only downside is that the majority of add-ins only can used on 32 bit office

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Hi Howard

..perhaps your issue is more to do with optimising workbook size rather than the 2GB memory limit.
    For example, many workbooks are 'bloated' with excessive used ranges that are not really required, poor construction of formulas, poor optimisation etc etc etc.
    You could perhaps start by saving workbooks in .xlsb format for typically 50% or more workbook size saving etc etc etc.
    ..unless you really are working with thousands of megabytes of data???? ..In which case I would use the Excel2016 version

zeddy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HowardC View Post
    I am going to upgrade to Office 2013 64 Bit and will advise if this resolves my problem
    Unless you have a lot of memory, it probably won't make any difference. Microsoft even recommends the 32bit version for 64bit machines as a general rule.

https://support.office.com/en-us/art...E-6C6F49B8D261
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)