5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

migrating Vista to W7 SP1

My daughter's laptop runs Vista. For reasons I won't bore you with, she doesn't want to upgrade to Windows 8 or 10.

I was able to purchase a W7 SP1 disk with a valid license key.

It says it's an OEM disk.

My question is: is it possible to do an upgrade using this disk, or will we have to do a full installation.

I'm hoping to be able to do an upgrade, because I believe that would negate having to reinstall all her user programs.

Can someone clarify this for me: upgrade or full installation?

THank you,
    Dick

Thanks

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Browni For This Useful Post:

Dick-Y (2016-02-19)

Thanks
    If you have the same or a higher version of 7 that you have of Vista, then you should have no problem upgrading and preserving most if not all of her programs. Also, if Vista is 32-bits, then 7 will need to be 32-bits; and if Vista is 64-bits, then 7 will need to be 64-bits.

Here is some helpful information to see if you can upgrade from her current version of Vista to the version of 7 that you bought.

Here are the different versions of each product:

Versions of Vista:
    Starter
    Home Basic
    Home Premium
    Business
    Small Business
    Enterprise
    Ultimate

Versions of 7
    Starter
    Home Basic
    Home Premium
    Professional
    Enterprise
    Ultimate

So if you have Vista Ultimate, you can't upgrade to 7 Home Premium, because you are moving to a lower version. But if you have Vista Starter, you can upgrade to 7 Home Premium, because you are moving to a higher version.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2016-02-19 at 16:02.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

Dick-Y (2016-02-19)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Years ago I migrated my XP machine to W7; and one of the things I did was to move things like Pictures to my data partition. I know how, then, to do this kind of thing with W7, but I'm not familiar with Vista.

Can I do that kind of thing on my daughter's Vista laptop (i.e., move her PIcture folder and her Music folder to a data partition) before doing the upgrade to W7 SP1?

Thanks for all your help,
    Dick

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick-Y View Post
    ....purchase a W7 SP1 disk with a valid license key. It says it's an OEM disk.

My question is: is it possible to do an upgrade using this disk, or will we have to do a full installation....
    That is presumably a gray market disk. As an OEM disk it will have to be a clean installation which wipes everything on the drive. Indeed it may not work unless you prior delete all partitions and repartition as it expects to see a clean drive not a boot drive with an OS already on it. If it is going from 32-bit to 64 bit (depending upon what you bought) it would need to be a clean install anyway no matter the circumstances.

Back up the drive first before anything that way it can all be restored if anything goes wrong and individual files can be accessed if needed.

You can use Windows 7 easy transfer app to make a backup of settings and documents on the old system to a backup drive for later transfer to the new system.
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down....aspx?id=14179

Now is a good time to examine her present apps with Belarc Advisor and WinAudit and not bother with apps she never used or hasn't used in a while. Gather those apps that need installation.

Be sure to get any copy protected apps keys uninstalled before transfer so they can be reused and any other product keys.

I usually make sure the BIOS is up to date as well as any drive firmware updates before installation.

If it is 5 years of age I usually like to run memtest86+, the boot drive maker's diagnostic test app and hwmonitor on the PC to make sure everything is working well.

If less, now is a good time to consider upgrading RAM to 3-4GB (32bit) or 8GB if 64bit and laptop supports that much RAM.

Now is a good time to consider swapping in an SSD.

[If it were an Win7 upgrade license instead of OEM going from a 32bit to 32 bit or 64bit to 64bit installation you could indeed have done a non-destructive installation.]
    Last edited by Fascist Nation; 2016-02-21 at 18:09.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Fascist Nation For This Useful Post:

Dick-Y (2016-02-21)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry to ask this question, but I am confused the more I read the provided links and responses. (My getting confused seems to happen more easily as the years roll along.)

Question: With a valid OEM W7 SP1 disk, can I do an upgrade from Vista to W7 SP1 (preserving programs etc); or do I have to do a full, clean installation?

Thanks for your help and patience with me,
    Dick

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Full installation seems to be the answer. To be sure do the following.
    1. Make an image backup to an external USB disk.
    2. Attempt the upgrade.
    3. If unsuccessful, run a clean install.
    You can always restore the image.

cheers, Paul

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

Dick-Y (2016-02-22),Fascist Nation (2016-02-22)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I like Paul's solution of go ahead and try, but I am almost positive you will not be able to do an in place installation with an OEM package. But as long as you have a verified backup nothing is lost but a little time in trying.

I suspect either it won't work because there is already an OS detected on the drive, or it will go ahead and clean install over the present system losing everything.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Fascist Nation For This Useful Post:

Dick-Y (2016-02-22)

Thanks
    Make certain you backup all the contents of her personal data, including EXPORTING email and email account data
    to a thumb drive or external, or it'll be the last thing you do for her.
    This should be a planned affair and not a half a**ed one, that means getting any updated drivers from the manufacturer's website, if any.
    And be PRESENT throughout the entire process.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

Dick-Y (2016-02-22)