Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook 2016: Syncing & archiving

I have just moved to a new Win10 PC with Outlook 2016 and I'm having several issues.

1. I have four sources for contacts. One is “Contact1 (This computer only)”: it’s empty. The second is “Contacts – Aurora” which came over when I imported my old emails from my previous PC and an older version of Outlook. It too is empty. The third is “Contacts from iCloud” which has most of my contacts in it, but not all (#460). The last is under the iCloud header and is called “Contacts-iCloud”. It seem to contain all of my contacts (#555).
    How do I merge these into one, single source and eliminate (or at least hide) the others?

2. Calendars: I have 9 calendars under the heading of “My calendars” and 4 under “iCloud”. I have all of the 9 unchecked and only “Calendar-iCloud” checked. First, why does Outlook have so many calendars? Is one preferable to another? Should I sync these up to be the same?? If so, how? Can I delete the others?

3. I have my Outlook email archive set to 5 days, but in the four weeks I’ve had my computer, it’s never moved a single email to the archive folder. I still have emails from Day 1. I submitted this question to the forum a couple of weeks ago and someone responded that Outlook uses some other date than the receive date to determine archiving and that date changes somehow each time you open Outlook. I thought I'd try again. How do I get archive to behave?

4. The mail app. This isn’t exactly Outlook but I can’t get the existing label “Outlook: myemail@comcast.net” in that app to display my email. I set all the parameters and the message indicates, “not synced yet.” The parameter “server” was the most confusing; no indication what they wanted there, so I put in my Comcast one: “imap.comcast.net” for my service. Am I to infer this app is expecting only a Microsoft email account???

5. How do you sync the calendar part of this app with my Outlook too?
    Last edited by WSC3; 2016-02-22 at 16:42.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello? Is there no one in the community that has found this to be a problem?

Thanks.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    1. As far as I know, contacts cannot be merged. You can copy all the contacts from one source to the other, but you will still have the other contact sources open. Outlook will keep one contact source per .pst file or IMAP source (not all, but some).

2. Outlook will have one calendar per .pst file and IMAP source that has a calendar. You can't get rid of this either.

3. The frequency for auto-archive to run is set in File-> Options-> Advanced -> Auto-Archive ->Auto-Archive settings

No answers for 4 and 5, still not on Windows 10, sorry.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    How many email accounts do you want to have in Outlook?

Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ruirib: Thanks for responding.
    1. Ok, so how can I get Outlook to access the contacts list I want to access (in the iCloud) that has my info in it? It's defaulting to the empty contacts list (called Contacts1 (This Computer only)).

3. I already have my auto-archive set to 5 days. ("Run Autoarchive every '5' days.") As I noted above, it's never archived any of my emails. So why isn't this working?

4. My mail app automatically displayed "Outlook" and my email address at comcast.net. Yet, I had to create a whole new account to see my email. So how do I get rid of this top "Outlook" option, since it's obviously bogus?

Joe: I only have 1 email account in Outlook and only want one. That's why I'm so surprised that I have numerous contact lists and calendars.

Administrator
    Thanks
    I would start from scratch. Create a new email profile. Then create your email account. Then open your old PST file (do NOT import it) - File | Open & Export | Open Outlook data file. Once the file is open you can drag and drop any items from the old PST file to your newly setup account. When finished with the old PST file close it. Close Outlook. Re-boot. Restart Outlook and see what is there.

Autoarchive - by default autoarchive works on the modified date of items. See AutoArchive not Working for details on autoarchiving and changing to received date. Note: be sure to check the autoarchive property on each folder you wish autoarchive to work on. The global settings may be overridden on an individual folder.

Joe

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Autoarchive - by default autoarchive works on the modified date of items. See AutoArchive not Working for details on autoarchiving and changing to received date. Note: be sure to check the autoarchive property on each folder you wish autoarchive to work on. The global settings may be overridden on an individual folder.

Joe
    I think Joe is right here. You need to check the individual archiving settings for each folder. Makes no sense to run auto-archive every 5 days if the settings are to archive messages older than 3 months.

About the default calendar, you can try and set the default data file to the one that keeps your desired default calendar.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't know what an email profile is? I created a new email account from scratch in Outlook 2016 when I got my new PC. what is a profile??

What old PST file? Is this the one from Outlook 2016 or old ones that I have as individual files from previous computers and releases of Outlook? I think you're saying that the email I've gotten since I moved to my new computer will have to be copied to this new email account and profile (whatever that is). Can you clarify?

None of my emails I need to be archived have been modified under the normal definition of that term. I've read that modification may mean odd things to Microsoft, but I assure you i haven't modified any of these that still sit resident in my inbox. I will read your link when i have bit more time. I made my archive settings in the Options. I was not offered a "by folder" option. I looked again, and I'm not sure what you mean. I set the auto archive on day # 1. It has never worked.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WSC3 View Post
    None of my emails I need to be archived have been modified under the normal definition of that term. I've read that modification may mean odd things to Microsoft, but I assure you i haven't modified any of these that still sit resident in my inbox. I will read your link when i have bit more time. I made my archive settings in the Options. I was not offered a "by folder" option. I looked again, and I'm not sure what you mean. I set the auto archive on day # 1. It has never worked.
    Folder settings are not offered, they are just there to be specified. You need to select at least the base folder, then choose the Folder tab and click AutoArchive settings. By default, I think the value for old messages to be archived is 6 months.

You can then do a similar process for each folder. I would probably try an archive based on the changed settings for the base folder and see how that would work. You can check each folder, after this first archive action and see if the settings work as intended.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Administrator
    Thanks
    Until you read more about how auto-archive works complaining that it is not working and what you perceive it should be is pointless. The linked article does offer some explanation about actions that change the date modified.

See Overview of Outlook e-mail profiles for more information about email profiles.

By old PST files I mean PST files from previous computers and installations of Outlook.

Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ok. I right clicked on my inbox folder, Properties, and found the auto archive tab which was set to 5 months. I had no idea such a thing existing. I set the archive time frame here too to 5 dasy. How would one know that there are multiple places to set it? It would seem logical to have the Options one be the default for all of your mail and then let folks who want to override that do so on a folder by folder basis. But perhaps I'm preaching to the choir.
    I set my “Sent” folder to “Archive items in this default using the default settings” to see if that = 5 days.

I’ll see if this solves my problem. I really don’t want to have to recreate my profile (whatever that is) and create a new email account. It took a long conversation with Comcast to finally get that right. I can take screen shots before, but I to avoid that much effort.

Thanks for your help. I learned something.

WSC3

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WSC3 View Post
    Ok. I right clicked on my inbox folder, Properties, and found the auto archive tab which was set to 5 months. I had no idea such a thing existing. I set the archive time frame here too to 5 dasy. How would one know that there are multiple places to set it? It would seem logical to have the Options one be the default for all of your mail and then let folks who want to override that do so on a folder by folder basis. But perhaps I'm preaching to the choir.
    I set my “Sent” folder to “Archive items in this default using the default settings” to see if that = 5 days.

I’ll see if this solves my problem. I really don’t want to have to recreate my profile (whatever that is) and create a new email account. It took a long conversation with Comcast to finally get that right. I can take screen shots before, but I to avoid that much effort.

Thanks for your help. I learned something.

WSC3
    You need to have in mind that there are two settings really: one to determine how often autoarchive runs, the other to determine how old will be the archived posts. It gives some additional flexibility.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ruirib: You know, I never noticed that. They ARE different. That makes sense. We'll see how this works.

So there's no way to delete these excess calendars and contact lists or at least be able to sync the contact lists?

Thx.

Administrator
    Thanks
    I am afraid there is no way I know to hide calendars, if you use the data files that contain them.

What do you mean by 'sync the contact lists'?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    If you start from scratch, as Joe suggested in #6 above, you would be starting clean, leaving all previous stuff behind, including your calendars.

You would then set up your email account in Outlook with a fresh, empty PST file (the file which holds the email, calendars, etc.).

Once you get that going, you could set up archiving as Rui suggested in #12 above, keeping in mind how old the email should be before it is archived, and how often you want it to archive. (You can autoarchive it every day if you want, but it won't put anything into the archive unless it is old enough.)

Finally, you can do a search for all PST files on your hard drive, and you can open them, one at a time, in Outlook, so that the email in them will be available for you to read through. These other PST files contain all of the email you have received and sent up until now.

If you don't fully understand this process, I would ask questions and search for information so that you can get a clear understanding before proceeding with this, because if you don't know what you are doing, you could make things worse rather than better.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast