Lounger
    Thanks

Chkdsk 'found' folders in Windows 10

In previous versions of windows, I could see the 'found.nnn' folders in file manager after a chkdsk run. And actually look at the data. (Generally useless, but occasionally I found something useful.

Have an external Seagate drive that has come up with errors a couple of times in the last few days (now being replaced).

Ran chkdsk and don't see any found folders. Have the show hidden and system boxes checked in file manager.

Was running AllWay Sync to backup the drive, and the analysis step shows found.001, 2, 3. Access denied.
    Total it to skip and continue processing.
    When the step competed, in the 'new files' category are 9 files (with names and extensions) in found.001.
    When I run the sync step, they kick out as access denied.

I can't seem to figure out how to actually look at these folders, and possibly recover these files.

Tried on my daughters machine that hasn't been upgraded from 8.1. Same thing.

Any ideas??

Thanks

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    The folders could have unusual security permissions.
    Download and run TreeSize Free, select Scan and choose the drive. TS should complain about permissions and request "Restart as administrator". Accept. Alternatively, start it as admin manually.
    Now you should see the "missing" folders and a right click will allow you to select Properties and view / change the permissions - taking ownership is usually the correct answer.

cheers, Paul

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

Geezer1 (2016-02-20)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Works like a dream.
    Shows all the 'found' folders and their contents. A few were chkdsk garbage, but most showed actual file names.
    So far all the ones I've compared are actually on the drive in the correct place and look ok.

When I went to properties, it showed that the owner was my admin id (I aways run on a standard id). I had ran File Manager as admin and it didn't show the folders. I've been able to see them with 'hidden and system' checked on prior versions.

Anyhow, great tip. Will keep this tool in my emergency file.