2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Defender together with Avast

Need your help(again).I have Win 7 and have Windows Defender at the same time as Avast(Pro),as well as Malwarebytes(Pro)in addition to Malwarebytes Anti Exploit(free).My computer starts very slowly(takes about 5 minutes to get ready).Can I delete Win Defender and if yes,should I and if so,please tell me how.I tried,but it is not listed in the Programs,neither in the All Programs and right click just doesn't work(no "Delete" chance given).Thank you!!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Go into Serivcese and disable it there if there isn't settings in Defender itself.
    Joe

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Joe S For This Useful Post:

macko1944 (2016-02-21)

Thanks
    Do not attempt to delete Windows Defender! I tried that and ended with an invalid, non Authentic, Windows 7. I finally had to reinstall everything from scratch, OS & all. Simply disable the service by marking it Manual -- you will probably never see or "hear" from it again.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

5. The Following User Says Thank You to RolandJS For This Useful Post:

macko1944 (2016-02-21)

Thanks
    The installation of Avast should have disabled Windows Defender. I say 'should' because there appear to be issues with Avast at the moment.

To start off, go into Control Panel then Programs and Features, select Avast and choose Change.

In the Avast dialog that appears, choose the Repair option then reboot.

Hope this helps...

(I'm having issues with Avast myself since a recent update to the program. )

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

macko1944 (2016-02-21)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You'll be able to tell if WD is active by going Start - type windows defender and press enter.

You should then get a dialogue box to say that it is turned off or if it's active then you will get its page pop up.

If its page opens, to disable WD, click on Tools - Administrator and uncheck the box to Use this program - Save and you'll get the dialog box to say that it is turned off.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

macko1944 (2016-02-21)

Thanks
    Rick Corbett, I am also also having troubles with Avast AV ProPremium, whatever the pay-for is calling itself. Thread-starter's problem with Windows Defender seems "awful"-ly familiar. I'll be listenin' and learnin' from youse all.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to RolandJS For This Useful Post:

macko1944 (2016-02-21)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandJS View Post
    Rick Corbett, I am also also having troubles with Avast AV ProPremium, whatever the pay-for is calling itself. Thread-starter's problem with Windows Defender seems "awful"-ly familiar. I'll be listenin' and learnin' from youse all.
    If this is a wide spread problem then there could be something on the Avast forum, or you could open a thread on there and query.

https://forum.avast.com/

As you are using the Pro version, you could also contact Avast Support where the problem may have already been reported - https://www.avast.com/en-gb/support

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

macko1944 (2016-02-21)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Unfortunately updates to Avast can cause problems. Try uninstalling it running the cleanup tool then reinstall using custom mode.
    Joe

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Joe S For This Useful Post:

macko1944 (2016-02-21)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am using Win 7 Pro, and have the same list of security programs running as the op. Boots up in less than 20 seconds (SSD System drive) No problems at all.

David

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Rhinoceros For This Useful Post:

macko1944 (2016-02-21)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you all so much for your help.I tried before asking for help,to delete WD and I had a big scare,the screen went completely black.I shut off the machine(3X tried this)and always black screen with nothing on it appeared.I was getting the notebook ready to take in for repair(if possible),but one final time tried to start it-and it did!This was enough for me.I shall leave it alone.All I am going to do is cancel the weekly virus scan and let it be.I already am fed up with Windows continuous urging me to switch to Win 10,which I refuse to do.If it ain't broke,why fix it?!
    But thank you all again,for a reliable and immediate advice -as ususal.

Thanks
    Is Windows Defender working? In the sense that IF you were to turn it back on, it will turn on and do its thing?

20. The Following User Says Thank You to RolandJS For This Useful Post:

macko1944 (2016-02-22)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes it does,but I re-set the scan to a night time and day,when my computer will be shut off.I am sick and tired of Microsoft,pressuring to change to Win 10 and always changing thing whether they need to or not.Actually considering switching to Apple when buying my next computer.But thank you for your kindness and interest in this issue.I acquiesced in what I can't(easily) change,and try to grin and bear it(for a while yet at least).Regards!

Thanks
    I always thought that the MS Win 7 A/V was MS Security Essentials and that Defender on Win 7 was akin to Malwarebytes. A different A/V like Avast will (should) stop MSE running. But it's a long time since I ran Win7 anyway.

Note that the MS A/V in 8 and 10 is called Windows Defender (just to confuse things)
    Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand

23. The Following User Says Thank You to access-mdb For This Useful Post:

macko1944 (2016-02-24)

Thanks
    If I remember correctly -- Windows 7's WD is not the same as W8 WD or W10 WD. W8 & W10 WD "took over MSE" and became a new WD. This WD is more robust than earlier WDs. The existent MSE works for W7 and earlier Ws.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to RolandJS For This Useful Post:

macko1944 (2016-02-24)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for this.How confusing can it get?Giving the same name to s.thing that acts as antivirus in Win 8 and 10,but not as such in Win 7.I wanted to avoid the "no-no"of having two A/V running at the same time.
    MS gives me a problem so often that I am really turned off and am looking at the Apple computer system(first by taking their course,without buying a computer).I will keep my Win 7 and continue to be a faithful Win.Secret subscriber!