2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cannot right click START button anymore

Up until recently I could right click the START button on my Win 10 system and get the appropriate menu (with items like Control Panel). Now when I do, the arrow moves a tiny bit to the right and nothing else happens. Of course I can get to the commands in other ways but this should work.

I ALSO had another problem; I could not log into any other account; would get profile error. I had never actually used any of the other accounts I'd created until now. Research suggested that DEFAULT was corrupt, to copy the directory tree from a clean Win 10 system, and I did, and that problem went away.

I then went into a new admin account, and while otherwise it works normally, again, the right click does not work.

Thanks!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    Have you run SFC /SCANNOW from an elevated command prompt?

Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    First thing I tried. No errors found.

Thanks
    #1. Try changing your theme [Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Personalization] to something completely different to see if it resets.
    #2. Have a look at this article to see if the folder is missing or damaged.
    Verified.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    Have you tried the dism commands in http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...=1#post1045778

Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Tried the theme as suggested, no change. Looked at the Winx filter, has a link to Desktop and the ini file containing;

[LocalizedFileNames]
    1 - Desktop.lnk=@%SystemRoot%\system32\twinui.dll,-4513

Which seems ok. So I'm also doing the Winx copy from a working system to this one, then I'll log out. I'll reply again in a bit.

Ron

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've since found that Win-X has no effect. However, all other right click context menus work normally. I did try shexview to turn off all non-Microsoft context menu items (restarting explorer.exe) to no avail.

So whatever this is seems specific to Win-X. And it affects all user profiles (and I had copied default from a working system).

Ron