Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

How do I enable the fingerprint reader?

I have an HP laptop, an HP Pavilion dv7. Not really mine, it belongs to a family member. It's a very nice laptop that's about 4 years old.

The thing is that it has a fingerprint reader that worked fine under Windows 7. A couple of months ago I volunteered to upgrade it to Windows 10. That worked reasonably well but the fingerprint reader is missing in action.

We performed a bare-metal upgrade. It turns out that HP only supports laptops 2 years old or less so I prepared our upgrade with the idea we won't get support. In fact we prepared rather carefully.

As part of that I researched Windows Hello. It turns out that Windows Hello isn't limited to facial recognition, which has gotten most of the press. It covers fingerprint readers too! So we are covered, right?

Not right. The Windows Hello screen that is supposed to support fingerprint readers, lacks the fingerprint reader option on this system. I've even seen screen shots of what this fingerprint reader option is supposed to look like, exactly where it is, everything. It's not there. And yes, the relevant Biometric option in the system settings is present, it shows the reader hardware and driver, everything is A-OK. No warnings or errors.

I'm not done at this point you understand. "Not supported" does not mean "our systems no longer work". I went to the HP web site and got all the software for this system. It turns out that you need to install 3 pieces of HP software to support the fingerprint reader. There's a driver, a platform component (they might have called it foundation), and the fingerprint application. It's all Windows 7 era stuff you understand.

The driver installed just fine. The platform component install failed with a "you cannot install this with .NET less than 3.5". Naturally I check and no, there's no .NET less than version 3.5. As a bare metal install we have .NET v4.6 and only that version. We didn't have all the .NET v4.6 components though, so I tried adding all those and re-running the platform install. Nope, that didn't change the error message at all.

Of course we have no HP support. I know their platform component install logic is broken but I can't get that fixed. And Windows Hello isn't giving me the options I know it ought to.

Fingerprint readers are supposed to be first-class authentication options now. As in, fully supported by the operating system. I'd prefer a Windows Hello solution because that gets me support. So why isn't Windows Hello giving me a fingerprint reader option?

For the record it's an HP Pavilion dv7 model 4260-ca (entertainment).

Thanks
    Microsoft is not obligated to make their Windows software work with any and all hardware that has ever been, or will be created. It's HP that would need to create the software that would enable their hardware to work correctly with Windows.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BHarder View Post
    The platform component install failed with a "you cannot install this with .NET less than 3.5".
    It should probably say, "or more than" too. So it could be worth enabling 3.5.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Microsoft is not obligated to make their Windows software work with any and all hardware that has ever been, or will be created.
    True, but this laptop isn't exactly ancient either. And I'm not aware of any technology requirements that Windows has, that invalidates fingerprint readers of a certain class or age. Unlike the facial recognition which requires infrared cameras that almost no-one has right now.

In fact that's the entire point of device drivers. They handle the hardware and then Windows can work with a device independent interface.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    It should probably say, "or more than" too. So it could be worth enabling 3.5.
    You may be on to something. However I hate to install .NET 3.5, as it automatically installs all the .NET baggage all the way back to .NET 2.0! I might as well not have gone to the work of a bare-metal install at that rate, grumble, grumble...

Thanks
    Go into device manager and check that fingerprint reader for red exes or yellow exclamation points.
    delete the device and reboot.

However I hate to install .NET 3.5, as it automatically installs all the .NET baggage all the way back to .NET 2.0!
    If that is what is required do it, or revert back to W7.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    Microsoft provides the basic OS infrastructure for Windows Hello. It is the hardware vendor responsibility to provide the drivers necessary to interface the hardware with Windows if the hardware will not work with whatever basic driver Windows provides. HP is notorious for not providing updated drivers when new versions of Windows are released.

I agree with Clint about .NET. If it says you need 3.5 then you better install it since the HP software does not appear to work with newer versions.

Joe

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    Note that you can enable .NET 3.5 as a Windows feature by going to Control Panel | Programs | Programs and Features | Turn Windows features on or off.

Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm wrestling with my next move. The way I see it I could do any (or all) of the following;

1). Pursue the elderly HP software stack. Install the .NET 3.5 stuff and maybe the rest of the software components will agree to install and run. I could then manually uninstall all the .NET components less than .NET 3.5 and hope the fingerprint reader stack does not collapse;

2). Go to Microsoft. Theoretically I'm supported by them for Windows Hello... though I'm certain they will want a credit card number and will charge for support. And I suspect the end result will be "we don't support systems that old" or "we have no idea what is wrong, why don't you talk to HP?"

3). Try to get a newer driver. We have the last BIOS update for the laptop installed but maybe there's a newer Windows driver available from Synaptics (formerly Validity).

HP Notebook PCs - Troubleshooting a Fingerprint Reader

Fingerprint reader support in Windows 10

Thanks
    In order for your HP hardware to work with Windows, you need Windows-compatible drivers that have been created by HP for their HP hardware to work with Windows.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Got a chance to work on the laptop this weekend.

I tried installing the .NET v3.5, which allowed the platform module to install (hey, that's progress!). Then I installed SimplePass which is the HP fingerprint reader application, also without incident. After a reboot and manually starting SimplePass, we hit another problem. Although fingerprint readers are mentioned on the first screen, on the second we only got options to use a PIN or standard Windows account password. No fingerprint reader option.

I also went back and checked the Windows Hello setup screen. It too still refuses to offer a fingerprint option.

One more thing I did. I hunted down a generic but modern Synaptics driver, which they offer in 64-bit, Windows 10 rated and everything. That's great but... Synaptics recommends running the HP OEM driver due to possible enhancement/modification by the OEM. Also, and this is a bit concerning, the Synaptics driver doesn't specifically mention fingerprint readers (Synaptics makes touchpad hardware too. In fact they brand themselves as a biometrics company so for all I know they make iris readers and more). On the plus side the Synaptics driver has a much higher version number than the current driver we have, version 19.0.19.1 versus 2.0.1.2. At least I hope that's a plus!

Finally, the Synaptics drivers come in flavors for SMBus and I2C hardware. I have no idea how to choose between these. Drat.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BHarder
    Also, and this is a bit concerning, the Synaptics driver doesn't specifically mention fingerprint readers (Synaptics makes touchpad hardware too.
    Instead of the generic Synaptics biometric driver, try the latest Synaptics Fingerprint Reader driver, available from here. Don't download DriverMax, just the Windows 10 driver further down the page. From posts on other forums it's likely the installer may suddenly quit the first time and you'll need to run it again. You'll need to re-boot after installing the driver.

PS - Again, from another forum, you shouldn't need SimplePass. Windows 10 should handle that for you.

Hope this helps...
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2016-03-06 at 17:59. Reason: Added more info

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

BHarder (2016-03-07)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BHarder View Post
    .... Synaptics recommends running the HP OEM driver due to possible enhancement/modification by the OEM. ...

Finally, the Synaptics drivers come in flavors for SMBus and I2C hardware. I have no idea how to choose between these. Drat.
    They all say that. I have never run across a driver yet that was improved by the OEM. That said you find latest drivers by searching PCI Database. I am a little wary of a 17 version jump in two years. Ideally, once found a Win10 driver can be located via Google on HP.com's site with fingerprint reader app. Normally you wouldn't care for most devices, but for this you likely will need HP's if it exists for any newer model where that fingerprint reader chip was used. Whatever Win10 compatible software HP developed should then work. Alternatively someone else's package but that can cause interesting messages if it works ("scan Lenovo FingerSafe") .

I'd go with the SMBus.

http://forum.scottmueller.com/viewtopic.php?t=1308

http://www.pcworld.com/article/20894...n-windows.html

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...vs.110%29.aspx

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/...model/5052139/

This looks like the last version of the software written by HP:
    http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/p...Id=ob_126956_1
    Last edited by Fascist Nation; 2016-03-06 at 21:52.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Fascist Nation For This Useful Post:

BHarder (2016-03-07)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Corbett View Post
    Instead of the generic Synaptics biometric driver, try the latest Synaptics Fingerprint Reader driver, ....
    Wow cool! May I ask how were you able to determine it was the PID=0011 driver for the chip and not one of the others? I poured through what I could find on the DV7 and could not find the ID of the chip? Or do you figure--as I do--that all Synaptics driver packs will contain the correct driver and the installation app to detect the correct chip and install the correct driver from the pack?
    http://www.drivermax.com/driver-down...ics+FP+Sensors

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascist Nation
    May I ask how were you able to determine it was the PID=0011 driver for the chip and not one of the others? I poured through what I could find on the DV7 and could not find the ID of the chip? Or do you figure--as I do--that all Synaptics driver packs will contain the correct driver and the installation app to detect the correct chip and install the correct driver from the pack?
    http://www.drivermax.com/driver-down...ics+FP+Sensors
    Sorry but it's just a guess at the moment. I've just got the fingerprint reader working on my HP ProBook 6475b (PID=0003d) in Win 10 after having the same problems as the OP. I ended up reading through a lot of the posts on the HP Support forums. Several people had success with that PID=0011 driver on different models of HP laptops so I thought I would advise that one first before moving on to one of the other 6.

I didn't need .NET 3.5 or any HP software either, just had to set a PIN first on my account (I use a local one) after the fingerprint reader driver was installed.
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2016-03-06 at 23:30.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast