5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

'Sleeping' PC actually running full-blast

LANGALIST PLUS

'Sleeping' PC actually running full-blast

By Fred Langa

Instead of resting quietly in sleep mode, a reader's PC appears to be working hard as evidenced by a hot CPU, rapidly spinning fans, and no response to wake-up keystrokes. Plus: What to do when backups fail because Windows keeps reassigning drive letters.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/langalist-plus/sleeping-pc-actually-running-full-blast/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Regarding the shifting USB drive letters, I've been using USB Drive Letter Manager (http://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbdlm_e.html) for a while (since XP, at least). I'm using Windows 7, so I can't say whether it's compatible with Windows 8 or 10. It has an ini file in which you can assign drive letters to particular USB devices on the basis of a number of different device properties, such as volume label and device ID.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cyraxote View Post
    Regarding the shifting USB drive letters, I've been using USB Drive Letter Manager (http://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbdlm_e.html) for a while (since XP, at least). I'm using Windows 7, so I can't say whether it's compatible with Windows 8 or 10. It has an ini file in which you can assign drive letters to particular USB devices on the basis of a number of different device properties, such as volume label and device ID.
    Windows itself usually maintains the same drive letter, once assigned using the Disk Management tools in Windows, and retains this information based on the device ID. Works better for drives (SSD and hard drives) than for removable media (flash drives and SD cards) but it is in my experience reasonably stable. YMMV.
    -- Bob Primak --

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bobprimak View Post
    YMMV.
    And indeed it has!

Here are some criteria it can use:

MinVolumeSize, MaxVolumeSize, MinDriveSize, MaxDriveSize, DeviceID, VendorID, ProductID, PortName, VolumeLabel, VolumeSerial, DriveType, BusType, PartitionNumber, and DiskSignature.
    Last edited by cyraxote; 2016-02-25 at 16:40.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cyraxote View Post
    And indeed it has!

Here are some criteria it can use:

MinVolumeSize, MaxVolumeSize, MinDriveSize, MaxDriveSize, DeviceID, VendorID, ProductID, PortName, VolumeLabel, VolumeSerial, DriveType, BusType, PartitionNumber, and DiskSignature.
    I assume you are citing criteria when the media are removable USB media. This is probably true.

I can also tell you that in my Ubuntu Linux the labelling of volumes for removable media can be frustratingly inconsistent as well. This doesn't help when I'm transferring data between six or eight partitions and devices. Whether under Windows or Linux, I really have to remain on my toes!

When using gParted for any file system, the volume labels often don't even show. This is even worse when using Command Line utilities like Clonezilla. So applying volume labels doesn't always solve this issue either. Windows and WinPE based utilities can have similar issues.

A reliable and compatible Drive Letter Manager would help in both of these OSes.
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2016-02-26 at 11:58.
    -- Bob Primak --