Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The best way to rebuild Windows 7 from scratch

BEST PRACTICES

The best way to rebuild Windows 7 from scratch

By Susan Bradley

A new or (more typically) rebuilt Win7 system requires some extra care to get fully patched.

The updating process can be long and tedious; here's how to get through it as quickly as possible.

The full text of this column is posted at http://windowssecrets.com/top-story/...-from-scratch/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.
    Last edited by Kathleen Atkins; 2016-02-23 at 00:20.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Kathleen - many thanks for this. I have rebuilt Win 7 several times, but have the uncomfortable feeling that it was never quite the same as when it was fresh out of the box.

To your advice I would add that, before embarking on rebuilding Win 7, you (not you, I mean!) should have all the up-to-date drivers from the PC manufacturer, or driver supplier, and - this is vital - a note of the order in which the drivers should be installed. After my first rebuild, I learned that this does matter, certainly does with the Dell Latitude E, now four years old.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Great Article! Just exactly what I needed to work on my project. I don't know what I'd do without you guys newsletters sometimes!

New Lounger
    Thanks

"upgrade" to IE11 has never worked

I have to agree 100% with the advice to download IE11 from the MS web site. I've tried several times to upgrade an existing IE 8 or IE 9 installation and failed every time. I've had 100% success with the downloaded IE11.

Hank Arnold (MS MVP - Consumer Security)
    Last edited by satrow; 2016-02-23 at 06:24.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Bless you Susan. You don't know how much work today's column has saved me. We refurbish computers and donate them to low income seniors. We install Win 7 on most of them, and process 100+ computers each year. Running updates takes us hours and hours. I did not know about the "Windows 7 enterprise" Update. Thank you VERY much for this information. It is invaluable!!

Gary Cahn

New Lounger
    Thanks
    These are great tips - logically organized and clearly explained. Using the enterprise update should save me lots of time.

The other thing I've noticed lately is that downloading Windows 7 updates seems to take much longer than it did previously. I get the feeling Microsoft is throttling the W7 updates in deference to Windows 10.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Unable to install IE11

I have tried to install Internet Explorer 11 several times but keep getting the error message: "Internet Explorer did not finish installing. Setup can't continue because a more recent version of Internet Explorer is installed on your computer."

Internet Explorer is not listed in Programs & Features but does appear on the Start Menu under All Programs. I tried renaming the IE directory in C:/Program Files/Internet Explorer to "XInternet Explorer" but that didn't work--same error message. I then tried moving the IE directory, but still get the same error message.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    Great article, especially the info about the equivalent of 'Service Pack 2'. Much appreciated.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Controlling IE on Windows 7

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBertelsen View Post
    I have tried to install Internet Explorer 11 several times but keep getting the error message: "Internet Explorer did not finish installing. Setup can't continue because a more recent version of Internet Explorer is installed on your computer."

Internet Explorer is not listed in Programs & Features but does appear on the Start Menu under All Programs. I tried renaming the IE directory in C:/Program Files/Internet Explorer to "XInternet Explorer" but that didn't work--same error message. I then tried moving the IE directory, but still get the same error message.

Any ideas?
    On Windows 7, IE 11 is not managed like a normal program. Go to Control Panel -> Programs and Features and then click on the link that says "Turn Windows features on or off". That's where you can check/uncheck Internet Explorer. If you uncheck it and then reboot, IE will no longer show in the start menu and you should be able to install IE 11 from the download.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by garycahn View Post
    We refurbish computers and donate them to low income seniors. We install Win 7 on most of them, and process 100+ computers each year. Running updates takes us hours and hours.

Gary Cahn
    If you have many PCs to reinstall it might be worth the effort of creating an updated installation ISO every few months.

You can use wsusoffline to download all the security updates for Windows 7 and then use WinToolkit to integrate these updates into Windows 7 SP1 and create a new ISO or USB installer. If you do that you'll only need to install KB 3135445, IE11 and then a handful of other updates via Windows Update once you've installed your updated Windows 7.

It'll probably take you a day or so to get things worked out but after that you'll save lots of time on every installation.

Andy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Susan, thanks for the article, the tip about KB 3135445 is especially useful. It's made a huge reduction in the the time Windows Update takes to work out which updates to apply. Because it wasn't a security update I ignored it, and I guess lot's of other ppl would too.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnFleming View Post
    Kathleen - many thanks for this. I have rebuilt Win 7 several times, but have the uncomfortable feeling that it was never quite the same as when it was fresh out of the box.

To your advice I would add that, before embarking on rebuilding Win 7, you (not you, I mean!) should have all the up-to-date drivers from the PC manufacturer, or driver supplier, and - this is vital - a note of the order in which the drivers should be installed. After my first rebuild, I learned that this does matter, certainly does with the Dell Latitude E, now four years old.
    So glad you like Susan Bradley's article--she wrote it, not me. I merely posted it. :-) KA

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen Atkins View Post
    So glad you like Susan Bradley's article--she wrote it, not me. I merely posted it. :-) KA
    Susan - yes, so sorry to overlook that you were the author. Thanks for a great article!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Susan -

An excellent and valuable article, but when trying to download the SP2 rollup for Win7 64bit and have selected that item and then go to view the cart, I get the following message:

The website has encountered a problem
    [Error number: 8DDD0010]
    There is a problem with the page you are looking for, and it cannot be displayed.

This has happened repeatedly on two different machines. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Leo Corrigan

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Excellent.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast