New Lounger
    Thanks

WhiteHat Aviator

Does anyone know what's become of the Aviator browser from Whitehat Security? There was some controversy last year with Google about security leaks. Is the browser still being supported by Whitehat?

Thanks
    From: https://www.whitehatsec.com/terms-co...or//index.html

The WhiteHat Aviator™ Web Browser

Thank you to everyone who has supported and used Aviator! WhiteHat Security has received tremendous support and feedback for the project since it’s launch in October 2013. In January 2015, we decided to make Aviator an open source project, making it possible for the community to continue to build on it. WhiteHat Security will no longer be providing support or development resources for Aviator. For anyone interested in viewing or iterating on the Aviator code base, please visit the github repository via the link below:

https://github.com/WhiteHatSecurity/Aviator
    Jerry

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I installed Aviator right after it was first released and initially liked it, but it went downhill as time went on and I ultimately uninstalled it. I don't think WhiteHat Security anticipated the development required to keep a browser up-to-date on current needs and standards. Releasing it to the open source community seemed like it was sort of WhiteHat's way of giving up and escaping from the project. There are 70 outstanding user issues and only three have been addressed in the last year, so it seems like a somewhat dead product. I've been using Chromodo the last couple years and it's now my favorite browser: https://www.comodo.com/home/browsers...et-browser.php

New Lounger
    Thanks

Be Careful with Chromodo

Quote Originally Posted by cloudsandskye View Post
    I've been using Chromodo the last couple years and it's now my favorite browser: https://www.comodo.com/home/browsers...et-browser.php
    Be careful using Chromodo. (Personally I'd run away screaming, but that's just me.) Comodo has gotten several black eyes over Chromodo. Just Google "Chromodo Security Vulnerabilities" to learn more and make you own decision.
    Also (since I know there are a number of listeners here) Comodo earned a "You're doing it wrong" mention in Steve Gibson's Security Now podcast. In any case Chromodo is not a secure as Comodo says.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rwb2 View Post
    Be careful using Chromodo. (Personally I'd run away screaming, but that's just me.) Comodo has gotten several black eyes over Chromodo. Just Google "Chromodo Security Vulnerabilities" to learn more and make you own decision.
    Also (since I know there are a number of listeners here) Comodo earned a "You're doing it wrong" mention in Steve Gibson's Security Now podcast. In any case Chromodo is not a secure as Comodo says.
    Some browser security weaknesses were exposed last year in Chromodo, but those have been corrected (see attached screen shot). Internet Explorer and Firefox had the same issues. There was also a problem last year with an extension that came with Chromodo called PrivDog. It was privacy and ad blocking software that was discovered to have a security flaw. It was removed from the next browser version and corrected, but by then the negative publicity was so extensive that it was never added back to the browser. It was replaced by the Ad Sanitizer extension to perform similar duties, but that software turned out to also have a security flaw, and was removed from the next version. The current version does not have a preinstalled privacy or adblocking extension (I use Adblock Plus). Using a search engine to search for Internet Explorer, Firefox, and Google Chrome security vulnerabilities will produce hundreds of thousands of hits for each. A search for those three at Steve Gibson’s website will also produce many hits. Browser security has always been a challenge and Chromodo is not alone in that reality.

As an aside, the vast selection of extensions available for Chromium based browsers creates a security challenge for both developers and users. From what I’ve read, apps and extensions selected from the Chrome Web Store (https://chrome.google.com/webstore/) have a higher probability of being safe than those from other websites.

Chromodo security.png
    Last edited by cloudsandskye; 2016-03-03 at 00:07.