5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Is it possible to create a system image backup without including File History?

I just read
    How to Create a System Image in Windows 10
    http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5...dows-10-a.html

Is it possible to create a system image backup without including File History?

Thanks
    As I understand it, a system image is of one disk only (e.g. your C drive). File History files must be on a separate drive, not even a separate partition on the same drive. So you won't include File History. Or am I missing something?

That link merely tells you where the system image backup link can be found.
    Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand

3. The Following User Says Thank You to access-mdb For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2016-02-23)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by access-mdb View Post
    As I understand it, a system image is of one disk only (e.g. your C drive). File History files must be on a separate drive, not even a separate partition on the same drive. So you won't include File History. Or am I missing something?

That link merely tells you where the system image backup link can be found.
    Thanks for that explanation. I have a batch file that automatically backs up my daily files so it doesn't appear to me I need File History and that's why I was questioning File History

Thanks
    You're welcome.

Personally, I use File History as it keeps older versions of each file backed up (hence File History). It's really more than a simple backup. I also backup my files (to a different disk) using RoboCopy, but I can't restore an older version of a file should I need it from that, unlike FH.

Some have 'Backup, backup, backup' on their sigs - I agree, so I have backups (of different sorts) in at least three places!
    Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand

6. The Following User Says Thank You to access-mdb For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2016-02-23)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    A related question... I want a complete image backup, system, applications, user files for my wife's machine. I've done this before on my machines and it never required more than a 16GB flash drive. Her machine has 96.2GB used on C:. When I go into Settings >> Backup >> Go to Backup and Restore (Windows 7) >> Create a systems image >> Pick the flash drive for the backup Windows 10 says it will require 97GB to backup
    System (System)
    Windows (C (System)
    Windows Recovery Environment (System)
    We backup user files weekly on an external hard disk. I basically want to create a system image so I can restore Win 10 and all the apps and all the app settings in case of a major disk failure. What can I eliminate from this image backup, if anything?

Thanks
    Move user data files, movies to a different disk or buy a bigger backup media. You will find few here that recommend Windows native imaging, alternatives such as Macrium Reflect and Acronis are recommended with a suitable boot media. Acronis can set up your BCD file to boot to your backup media, that assumes you can get to that point whilst booting.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.