Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question Converting PST from ANSI to Unicode

My wife's Outlook is still using the old ANSI PST file format. She is running Office 2010 on a Windows 10 machine. I have read the various methods (on Slipstick, etc.) for converting to the new Unicode format, and it seems that if one is not moving the PST to a new location/machine/Office version, the only part that has to be done to perform the conversion is to create a new profile and "connect" the PST to it--is that correct?

And if that is correct, how can one tell if the PST has been converted to the new Unicode format, other than allowing the PST to get "too big"?

thanks,
    Henry S. Winokur
    PC .HLP Computer Consulting -- Supporting family & SOHO Windows users in the DC area since 1990
    Bethesda, MD

Thanks
    Why do you believe it is ANSI and not Unicode?

Here is some information I posted about the whole ANSI vs Unicode issue, and how I dealt with it. Basically, I thought I had ANSI, because I kept maxing out at 2GB. I actually had Unicode, but I needed to put a couple of registry settings to allow the PST file to have a higher capacity than 2GB. Worked like a champ.

Good luck.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    Why do you believe it is ANSI and not Unicode?
    Here is some information I posted about the whole ANSI vs Unicode issue, and how I dealt with it. Basically, I thought I had ANSI, because I kept maxing out at 2GB. I actually had Unicode, but I needed to put a couple of registry settings to allow the PST file to have a higher capacity than 2GB. Worked like a champ.
    Good luck.
    Same reason as you, Jim. The data file maxed out at around 2GB in size, and she was getting warnings that the data file had run out of space. Thanks for posting. I'll take a look and let you know. Turns out my PST was Unicode, but not hers. I added the DWORDs you suggested (I assume 32 bit was the correct option--since Office is 32 bit.) Now I just have to fix up her file...ugh!
    Last edited by HenWin; 2016-02-23 at 17:11. Reason: New info...
    Henry S. Winokur
    PC .HLP Computer Consulting -- Supporting family & SOHO Windows users in the DC area since 1990
    Bethesda, MD