This is a near duplicate of a Scuttlebutt post I made, and since Scuttlebutt posts have a short half-life, I take the liberty of cross-posting here for anyone who might be interested in the future.

Most of us Loungers are technical professionals who at one time or another have to do a presentation, or prepare one for the boss. (And we all know that bosses have no real training in what makes a good presentation, but they have their prejudices.)

Here are a couple of resources to consider.

Edward R. Tufte is a Yale Professor who has written three books about presenting graphic information. They are all published by <A target="_blank" HREF=>Graphics Press</A>, and are all expensive, US$40 range. I only have the first one, and I think someone "borrowed" it.

The Visual Display of Quantitative Information, 1983, ISBN 096139210X
Envisioning Information, 1990, ISBN 0961392118
Visual Explanations, 1997, ISBN 0961392126

Tufte is death on useless and unnecessary ornamentation, which he calls "ChartJunk". And he's death on distortion of graphics; you will learn a lot about "lies, damn lies, and charts".

There is also a very inexpensive digestible book which writers of public information should have a copy of:

Robin Williams (no, not that Robin Williams) The Non-Designer's Design Book, 1994, <A target="_blank" HREF=>PeachPit Press</A> ISBN 1-56609-159-4, about US$15. She also has a Web Design 'version'. She has the clearest explanations I have ever read of how to use fonts, white space, contrast and layout for maximum comprehension. (And you can have a lot of fun with the deliberately garbled fairytales she uses as mock text, which I didn't notice until my third reading.) I haven't read the Web Design version, no reason to. It won't take long to read and will give you all the practical principles you should ever need.

HTH someone sometime.