New Lounger
    Thanks

Can't seem to download programs onto computer

i have a second hand computer and i was trying to update the security and update drivers.... and i also want to download a game - geometry dash but i get this message
    application failed to initialize: settings database cannot be constructed properly

any help on explaining this would be great

i can download documents and open them but not programs it seems??

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    What version of Windows? What program are you using to download?

Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You could try this MS Fix it - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/..._and_uninstall but the inability to download anything can be a sign of an infection.

Have you ever been able to download any programs and what do you know about the provenance of the machine.

Have you determined if the OS is a genuine install - you won't be able to download on a non-genuine install.

You can check this either by going Start - type activate windows and press enter or by going Start - right click on Computer and select Properties where it will show if Windows is Activated or not.

One other thing to check and that is if the clock is showing the correct date and time.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    What version of Windows? What program are you using to download?

Joe
    the operating system is windows xp - professional

why can i download pdf files but not programs like geometry dash? or the updates for windows security.
    the computer is not in front of me right now to get full system information. i just tried to downloand Andy in that site to get geometry dash from that Andy site but it said first to download Andy - but when it tries it gives that message :" application failed to initialize: settings database cannot be constructed properly"

the time shows the correct date and time

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Which of the web sites are you using to download Geometry Dash ?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=geometry+dash

Not being able to get Windows Updates could be a different problem.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by De Young View Post
    the operating system is windows xp - professional

why can i download pdf files but not programs like geometry dash? or the updates for windows security.
    the computer is not in front of me right now to get full system information. i just tried to downloand Andy in that site to get geometry dash from that Andy site but it said first to download Andy - but when it tries it gives that message :" application failed to initialize: settings database cannot be constructed properly"

the time shows the correct date and time

it is a windows xp operating system and i was trying to download geometry dash from Andy

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Can you copy & paste the Andy URL and then we can test it, although for me, that will be with Win 7.

Did you try that MS Fixit I'd linked to see if it made any difference ?

What errors are you getting when you try to download Windows Updates though since support ended for XP, there aren't any new ones.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    if using this link - what does it unistall? i do not have a windows os disk to reload anything??? i've yet to try the suggestions - sorry, with 4 kids at my heels i have too many things on the go. thank you all for hanging in there and giving me suggestions. i plan on turning on the other computer today - ha

Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    You could try this MS Fix it - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/..._and_uninstall but the inability to download anything can be a sign of an infection.

Have you ever been able to download any programs and what do you know about the provenance of the machine.

Have you determined if the OS is a genuine install - you won't be able to download on a non-genuine install.

You can check this either by going Start - type activate windows and press enter or by going Start - right click on Computer and select Properties where it will show if Windows is Activated or not.

One other thing to check and that is if the clock is showing the correct date and time.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It doesn't uninstall anything - if you scroll down the page it tells you what it fixes.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    in the system properties under general tab - it is a microsoft windows XP professional version 2002 service pack 3

the computer is a Toshiba MMGL010AIV14 intel(R) pentium (R) M
    processor 1400MHZ 1.40 GHZ, 512 MB of RAM

trying the run that link now and see what happens

New Lounger
    Thanks
    if using this link - what does it unistall? i do not have a windows os disk to reload anything??? i've yet to try the suggestions - sorry, with 4 kids at my heels i have too many things on the go. thank you all for hanging in there and giving me suggestions. i plan on turning on the other computer today - ha

ok i put the link in and it took me in the site
    Skip Navigation
    Microsoft

sign in

Cart

Cart

• By product
    • Downloads

Explore these great resources across Microsoft.com

Windows

(not much to go by - not sure what i am looking for??)

as for to see if Windows is Active
    in my start up button i don't have "computer" so i just put my cursor over the screen and right clicked but got Display Properties which i don't think is what i need. in my start up there is no where to type anything in

New Lounger
    Thanks
    i ran that link on my working computer and got a complete looking page and clicked the "Run now" button but got the message (program encountered an error trying to contact the server. please try again later [code 80072F8F]

the computer that i want to fix/find if it is a genuine windows program still gives me a simple screen- not the same as what i see on my working computer i am currently using. ???

Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post

New Lounger
    Thanks
    it seems that link doesn't like windows xp
    works with windows 8.1, 8 and 7

i ran that link on my working computer and got a complete looking page and clicked the "Run now" button but got the message (program encountered an error trying to contact the server. please try again later [code 80072F8F]

the computer that i want to fix/find if it is a genuine windows program still gives me a simple screen- not the same as what i see on my working computer i am currently using. ???

New Lounger
    Thanks
    i checked about windows being active by going through the RUN and typing "oobe/msoobe/a" and it gave me a message that windows in now active but when i tried to download andy for geometry dash it said "failed-network error" with "Andy_v46.2_82_x86bit.exe" in the little download square at the bottom left hand side of screen when downloading something.
    the site i went into "google" "geometry dash" and the option i choose was " http://www.andyroid.net/bundledapps/...try-dash-on-pc

maybe my computer is just not calibrated for games? as it is a second hand computer and i don't know much about it other than i can use the internet

it seems that link doesn't like windows xp
    works with windows 8.1, 8 and 7

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    In looking for a fix for XP, came across http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/...stall-programs which has a few things to try, but have you run a chkdsk /f from a command prompt ?

You can check if your XP is genuine by this method - http://www.troublefixers.com/know-wh...enuine-or-not/