New Lounger
    Thanks

Smile IE11 crashes whenever I log on to eBay

I run Windows 7 SP1 fully updated and MS IE11 fully updated. I use Norton 360 for antivirus and it also stores my login UID & PW. A problem has surfaced in the last month or so. Whenever I log on to EBay I get a message that Internet explorer has stopped (windows looking for solution)etc. The browser hangs...greyed out until IE11 crashes or I simply close it. Then when I restart it I have a 50-50 chance of the problem reoccurring OR I can actually log in to Ebay fine. Unfortunately though, IE11 will occasionally exhibit this behavior with other sites. Has anyone
    else had this occur?
    (PS I was forced to use GWX to eliminate the MS "forced update" to Win10 and I have changed my AutoUpdate to Download and Let me choose which to install.) So far the only updates I have not installed are the ones which will reinstall the Win10 Forced Update.

Thanks In Advance for your thoughts and Advice
    NSmith (EwEpEr)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    Have you tried an IE reset? Tools (the small gear) | Internet Options | Advanced (tab) | Reset (button at bottom)

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Have you tried an IE reset? Tools (the small gear) | Internet Options | Advanced (tab) | Reset (button at bottom)

Joe

No, I haven't. I went and looked at it and the directions said, "you should only do this if IE is unusable." So, I am hesitant to do that since
    IE11 is still working. The problem seems to be related to Ebay and seemed to appear after Ebay changed their old login page to a new one.
    For example, tonight I logged in to Ebay with no problems, no crashes and I haven't changed anything on my end, but yesterday all day it was
    a pain in the you know what everytime I tried to log in it froze, closed and then reopened and I could log in ok.

I very much appreciate the suggestion though.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Problems with one site are difficult to debug. Could be a bug on the new login page or some combination of things affecting IE.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to All who have given me suggestions on this problem. I have spent a while fiddling with MS Fixit's and looking for a 'silver bullet' here and there. No solution until tonight. So I thought I'd post this right away.

I was running a program which is a real CPU hog and I opened IE11 while I was waiting for my other running program to end and I got that little bottom popup box that tells me when some add-on of mine has created a delay in IE coming up. The culprit flagged was (Oracle's) Java plug in SSV helper. So I disabled it. Voila

I have not experienced the IE crash when logging onto Ebay since I disabled it. Over the last 6 hours I have tested this logon dozens of times without incident.

I never was sure what that Java helper did anyway. It had been enabled for years and probably for more than one IE version.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to eWePeR For This Useful Post:

BHarder (2016-03-04)

Administrator
    Thanks
    If you don't need Java uninstall it. If you then run into some site that requires Java (and there are very few of those) you can reinstall it.

Joe