Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Should I let third-party tools optimize Win 10 system?

I regularly read the Windows Secrets Newsletter. I seem to remember reading advice that one should not allow third-party maintenance tools to defray (or optimize) a Windows 10 system. Is my memory fuzzy? My ISP offers (and I use) Norton Security Suite, which attempts to optimize my Windows 10 laptop. Should I allow it to proceed?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Caesar,

Most of these "optimizers" are nothing but snake oil, e.g. what they IMHO optimize is the sellers bottom line! HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Caesar3 View Post
    I regularly read the Windows Secrets Newsletter. I seem to remember reading advice that one should not allow third-party maintenance tools to defray (or optimize) a Windows 10 system. Is my memory fuzzy? My ISP offers (and I use) Norton Security Suite, which attempts to optimize my Windows 10 laptop. Should I allow it to proceed?
    A couple of thoughts, one is never to use Defrag on SSD/Solid State Drives and I think the other is to also not use the full error-checking on SSDs. With the larger HDDs the defrag is seldom necessary when they are not full, it was an issue years ago with small-capacity HDDs so one always had some free space available.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, I've read that many times. At least I'm not paying extra for this "service." Do you suppose this snake oil is doing any harm?

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Ah, yes—SSDs. That's probably what I read. No SSD in play here. Thank you, gentlemen!

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Windows does defrag SSDs, just not in the way it does mechanical disks. http://www.hanselman.com/blog/TheRea...ntYourSSD.aspx

What do you mean "full error-checking"? A scan / simple write test of an SSD won't make any difference to its life expectancy.

cheers, Paul
    Last edited by Paul T; 2016-02-24 at 02:10.

Thanks
    Many third part tools are good, but Norton is not one of them.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by djohnson View Post
    Many third part tools are good, but Norton is not one of them.
    Do you have documentary evidence of that about Norton and which 3rd party programs are you referring to, or is it just your opinion and based upon what ?

I have used Norton for a few years now and it has kept me safe without detriment to the performance of my laptops.

The only 3rd party programs I've tried in my naivety have been Uniblue's Power Suite which wrecked my system - which I was fortunate to be able to restore with a system image I'd created before running it and Advanced System Care which also didn't last very long either.

The Optimization is just a defrag, although I don't know what background tasks Norton carries out when the machine is idle, as it often reports it is doing.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post

The Optimization is just a defrag, although I don't know what background tasks Norton carries out when the machine is idle, as it often reports it is doing.
    My ISP is Comcast and they give us Norton too. Ive been turning off all the "Maintenance" tasks, including their backup, optimization, History cleaning, etc. and only using their FW and AV stuff as long as Ive been using Norton. I use MS defrag since the days of Vista, and I use Malwarebytes for protection of Adware and Spyware - Norton misses most of the things that MBAM regularly catches.

I still havent found an all inclusive tune up tool that I can trust, although Norton does make an impressive attempt to do this, however poorly it actually does. So I do what I can on my own, using several individual tools that have proven reputations.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    MBAM snags PuPs which an AV program isn't generally designed to do and I also have MBAM, but prefer to scan with AdwCleaner for those.

Thanks
    WX has most of the tools you'll need in the form of clean manager and disc optimization. (safe & sufficient for weekly usage)
    I will use CCleaner and a batch script for heavy duty cleaning, a 3rd party defragmenter like Vopt specifically for the mech drives,
    but they are personal choices and leftovers from my previous operating systems.
    If you have weak hardware you'll want to avoid adding any services for such 3rd party tools.

I would avoid any of the suit type optimizers unless specially endorsed by a majority of users here, as they are simply not needed.
    Avoid memory optimizers as they are well known to be of no use whatsoever.
    Although it's good to have a registry cleaner on hand, CCleaner fits the bill nicely, regular usage is unnecessary and potentially damaging.
    Hard disk monitory tools like CrystalDiskInfo are good to have in ones toolkit as is a shortcut to eventvwr, gpedit, & services.

Batch scripts: Event Log Cleaner, Rebuild_Icon_Cache, Reset_Notification_Area_Icons_Cache, and Sagerun are useful to have as well.

One of the best optimization tools to have is an imaging program and a good working knowledge of how to use it.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2016-03-02 at 17:08.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    Do you have documentary evidence of that about Norton and which 3rd party programs are you referring to, or is it just your opinion and based upon what ?

I have used Norton for a few years now and it has kept me safe without detriment to the performance of my laptops.

The only 3rd party programs I've tried in my naivety have been Uniblue's Power Suite which wrecked my system - which I was fortunate to be able to restore with a system image I'd created before running it and Advanced System Care which also didn't last very long either.

I use WinASO registry optimizer, Glary Utilities Pro, and CCleaner. I run them in that order, usually when I am bored or at least once a week, and immediately after a new Windows install, with all my programs added. I have an SSD, so I don't defrag, and I have absolutely no virus protection or anything else installed. I have completely disabled Windows Defender.

Many years ago I defragged my OS with Norton, and it renamed all of my system files to wingdings. I never trusted it after that.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    A good uninstaller program can be useful to have around if you try (but soon reject) new programs or decide to get rid of old ones.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My ISP offers (and I use) Norton Security Suite, which attempts to optimize my Windows 10 laptop.
    A number of security suites have optimization tools (like Bitdefender which I have). I'm not really keen on the notion since I already have CCleaner and a number of tools built into Win10.

So, unless there is a particular issue I am trying to deal with, I wouldn't be in a hurry to turn one of these lose on my computer.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Best done by hand so you can test its gain if any and reverse it if not. Figure out your baselines first.

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...dows-10-a.html

https://tweakhound.com/2015/12/09/tweaking-windows-10/