New Lounger
    Thanks

WIndows 365/2016 crashes when saving a file

I have the subscription version of Office 2016 running on my windows 10 computer. It was working fine until today...

Now, whenever I try to "Save" or "Save As" the program locks up with a "Word (not responding)" message. The same thing occurs with Excel 2016.I have tried running Word in Safe Mode, I have scanned with Malware Bytes and Nortons, I have run Ccleaner, and I have checked to see that I am up to date with both Office and Windows 19. I have reinstalled Office 2016.

Any suggestions?

Jim Padar

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jrpadar View Post
    It was working fine until today...

Now, whenever I try to "Save" or "Save As" the program locks up with a "Word (not responding)" message. The same thing occurs with Excel 2016.
    My first thought is that the drive where Office saves your files is nearly full. If so, make some space and the problem should go away until it fills again. You should keep 20-25% of your drive empty for Windows to function properly.

My second thought is that your most recent Office Updates from MS have messed you up. Uninstall them and see if the problem disappears.
    Lugh.
    ~
    Dell Alienware Aurora R6 (new 2017)
    Windows 10 Home x64 1703; Office 365 x32
    GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400
    256G SSD, 1TB HD

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Are the files being saved locally to your hard drive or is it trying to save onto a network/cloud location?
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

New Lounger
    Thanks

This fixed it for me

Quote Originally Posted by jrpadar View Post
    I have the subscription version of Office 2016 running on my windows 10 computer. It was working fine until today...

Now, whenever I try to "Save" or "Save As" the program locks up with a "Word (not responding)" message. The same thing occurs with Excel 2016.I have tried running Word in Safe Mode, I have scanned with Malware Bytes and Nortons, I have run Ccleaner, and I have checked to see that I am up to date with both Office and Windows 19. I have reinstalled Office 2016.

Any suggestions?

Jim Padar

I had this start to happen about 2 weeks ago, it was driving me crazy. Word froze every time I selected "Save As" then "desktop" as the location. The answer (after much hair-pulling-out) was that MalwareBytes was the issue. I had installed the free version right around the time the problem started. So I uninstalled it and not Word works again. I am posting here because I could not find any help anywhere, I figure this post may help someone.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Same Word 2016 Saving to Desktop problem caused by Malwarebytes

Quote Originally Posted by asdfasdfasdf View Post
    I had this start to happen about 2 weeks ago, it was driving me crazy. Word froze every time I selected "Save As" then "desktop" as the location. The answer (after much hair-pulling-out) was that MalwareBytes was the issue. I had installed the free version right around the time the problem started. So I uninstalled it and not Word works again. I am posting here because I could not find any help anywhere, I figure this post may help someone.
    I had the same problem. Office 365/Word 2016 in Windows 10 Creator build would lock up when I tried to save a new document to the Desktop. I could save to other folders, but saving to the Desktop caused Word to lock up. I had to use Task Manager to end the Word process.

I uninstalled Malwarebytes (the free version, but it had been installed only a few days ago, so it was the trial version of the full program) as you described, and I could save to the Desktop in Word 2016.

What a weird bug! Thank you for your post. I never would have suspected Malwarebytes.

We should both inform Malwarebytes of their bug!

John

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,064 Times in 989 Posts
    John, you should not use your email address as your handle, it's asking spammers to target you.

cheers, Paul

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Malwarebytes have promised a fix in the next few days: MBAM 3.0.6 and Office 2016 with Win10 Creator's Update

(and there's a temporary workaround on Page 1 of that thread)
    Last edited by BruceR; 2017-04-30 at 07:30.