Lounger
    Thanks

You know the song: "Time (not) Is On My Side"

I come before the millions and millions of you to aid me in what is a dogged problem that has surfaced on my PC the last couple of weeks. My Dell XPS 8500 with Windows 8.1 update has been a steady, reliable performer the last three years. Syncing Windows time with the computer has always worked whether weekly or on demand but I now cannot sync the time with any of the five time servers using the conventional date/time, internet time tab. Using any of the servers the timeout period expires or the peer is unreachable or maybe something else shows up. After reading M'Soft Technet articles and the internet I see the problem has occurred to many users. I've executed command prompts to attempt finding a cause. If I resync via command prompt (admin) the response is the computer did not resync because no time data was available. I've tried many of the commands available. I'm an OpenDNS user and reverted to "as found" server settings. That didn't help. I did a System Restore to early February yesterday. That didn't help. However, last night while reviewing Event Viewer, the System events, a warning entry which was a first time entry for me to see in these last weeks appeared. "NtpClient was unable to set a manual peer to use as a time source because of DNS resolution error on 'time.nist.gov,0x9'. NtpClient will try again in 15 minutes and double the reattempt interval thereafter. The error was: No such host is known. (0x80072AF9)". Event ID 134. That entry has now appeared three times. I went looking for information on the entry but so far found nothing useful. I'm open to assistance that you can provide. Thank you!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    See this link to find the IP addresses of many time servers.

http://tf.nist.gov/tf-cgi/servers.cgi

3. The Following User Says Thank You to nate01pa For This Useful Post:

Oldiesjock (2016-02-25)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you, nate01pa. In my search for an answer I did see this site and that you have brought it up, I will try out other servers and see if they "play in Peoria".

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I use the NTP.org servers.
    http://www.pool.ntp.org/en/

cheers, Paul

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    A few years back I often used a program from the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) here in the United States (called nistime32bit.exe). It is still free to download from NIST. You can read more about NISTime32 here:
    http://www.nist.gov/pml/div688/grp40/its.cfm

You might give it a try.

Thanks
    There are many Time Sync programs rattling around out there....even in Peoria.

All you have to do is download one, install it and it will sync your PC with the Bureau of Standards Atomic Clock.
    Some are FREE and some are not, so you kind of have to pick and choose.

I've used one called Atomic Clock and another one called "Chronograph".

I lived in Peoria for over twenty years, before moving to FL. It's amazing what plays in Peoria. rofl.

I'd love to get back to Peoria, during nice weather, and just drive around and see how much has changed in the past 28 years, since I left.

Cheers Mate!
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Thanks
    Here is one free application I frequently used in the days of XP;
    Dimension 4
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I've had better luck with setting the time update/sync function to one of the NIST [National Institute of Standards and Testing] that are available in the Internet Time tab. time.nist.gov

Lounger
    Thanks
    I want to close out this thread and let you know what the outcome was of my "Time (not) Is On My Side" problem. At least it seems this will be the last word. I worked at it off and on attempting to resolve why I could not update my PC with the many time servers available. After all, time sync had worked reliably for ever. Yeah, I read every source of information and went down every trail that looked promising. You know the drill... And thank you to all who supplied ideas/directions to help me. One night it dawned on me to ping some of the servers and see the results. Well, right away it was clear that information packets went out but did not return. From any server. So I said enough for tonight. Came back to it a day or so later - still no joy although that night, March 10, I did install the monthly Windows Malicious Software Removal tool. After the install did a few other minor things and decided to check for a time update. BAM! Update successful! What? No... yes!! So what happened between sessions is unknown except that time sync is back on line, working normally (so far) and that's the name of the tune! The only substantive thing done was that update install. Or did M'Soft fix something under the hood during a restart or session start. I do not think I'll ever know for sure.