New Lounger
    Thanks

Replacing Win 10 with Win 7 on New Laptop

I am about to receive a new laptop that has Win10 Home pre-installed. I have an OEM install disk for Win7 Pro, and I am considering installing this OS onto the new laptop, as I do not trust Win10. There is one problem; the new laptop does not have a CD/DVD drive. I would need to get the installation files onto a thumb drive that is boot-able. Once I do that, I would put the thumb drive into a USB port and then power up the laptop. Am I on the right page with this approach? I would need to go into the BIOS and set the unit to boot first from the USB; what I am trying to do is to avoid even starting Win10 on this system, if possible.

However, the new laptop has a touchscreen. Perhaps I should, instead, purchase an install disk for Win 8.1? I would like to try the touchscreen features; I might like them, and the install may go better since Win 8.1 is more closely "related" to Win10. I am not sure about drivers and such, but 8.1 would probably not have as much an issue as Win7 as far as proper drivers go.

Can you, or anyone else, give me your thoughts on this?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Barnbaby
    I am about to receive a new laptop that has Win10 Home pre-installed. I have an OEM install disk for Win7 Pro, and I am considering installing this OS onto the new laptop, as I do not trust Win10. There is one problem; the new laptop does not have a CD/DVD drive. I would need to get the installation files onto a thumb drive that is boot-able. Once I do that, I would put the thumb drive into a USB port and then power up the laptop. Am I on the right page with this approach? I would need to go into the BIOS and set the unit to boot first from the USB; what I am trying to do is to avoid even starting Win10 on this system, if possible.

However, the new laptop has a touchscreen. Perhaps I should, instead, purchase an install disk for Win 8.1? I would like to try the touchscreen features; I might like them, and the install may go better since Win 8.1 is more closely "related" to Win10. I am not sure about drivers and such, but 8.1 would probably not have as much an issue as Win7 as far as proper drivers go.
    1. This should be a new thread as your new laptop has never had Windows 7 on it.
    2. You won't be able to use a Windows 7 OEM disk to install a legitimate version of Windows 7. The license for OEM is tied to the original device.
    3. There are several utilities available to help you create a USB-based installer from a Windows 7 ISO, for example Microsoft's own Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool. Have a look at this article for more info.
    4. Depending on the make/model of the laptop then you may not need to go into the BIOS/UEFI to change the boot order. Most laptops have a function key that will show a boot menu. For example, HP laptops use F9 at bootup to display a boot menu.
    5. If you want to try the touchscreen then 8.1 is probably a better option. If, for whatever reason, you decide to put Windows 7 on then go to the laptop manufacturer's website and check that hardware device drivers are available first.
    6. Use something like Macrium Reflect to create a disk image of the laptop before you power it on. Should you ever wish to try Windows 10 or pass it on then you will be able to revert it to its original state.
    7. After you have created a disk image of Windows 10, why not give Windows 10 a go anyway by logging in with a local account and having a look around? It's a nice OS and you can use this forum to discuss any 'trust' concerns.

Hope this helps...

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Barnbaby: Please don't hijack existing threads to start a new topic. As Rick says, you should have started a new thread. I have moved the discussion to its own thread.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

New Lounger
    Thanks

My apologies

Quote Originally Posted by macropod View Post
    Barnbaby: Please don't hijack existing threads to start a new topic. As Rick says, you should have started a new thread. I have moved the discussion to its own thread.
    I apologize for doing that; I should have known better. Thank you for the alert and the information supplied in the reply.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I apologize for not starting a new thread; I mistakenly posted to this thread thinking that the rebuilding of Windows 7 information might apply to someone attempting to do what I am considering. However, after reading your reply, I am going to take your suggestion of creating the disk image and trying out Win10. I guess I had heard so many negatives about Windows 10 I was somewhat afraid of even giving it a fair chance. I shall review other information you have on this site about Windows 10 and be more cognizant of the forum protocol. My thanks to all who replied!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Barnbaby
    I guess I had heard so many negatives about Windows 10 I was somewhat afraid of even giving it a fair chance.
    A lot of the negative remarks were about the Preview and Insider editions. I'm one of the people who wasn't too impressed at first and went back to Windows 7. However, most of the earlier issues with Windows 10 have been resolved, IMO, and it's just a case of getting used to it. Instead of having it just on a laptop and virtual machine, I'm about to upgrade my main desktop PC. That's why I suggested at least giving Windows 10 a try. You may be pleasantly surprised.

Thanks
    Barnaby,
    My thoughts on your situation involve quite a bit of experience I have had, installing Windows 7 on various computers.
    The biggest problem I've seen with 7, is its limited driver package. If the PC is new, and came with Windows 10, fix the Security holes, (Kill WUDO and Cortana) then install the Classic shell and set it to give you a Windows 7 menu and let life go on. There's a 98% chance that Windows 7 (any version) will NOT have the drivers for your new PC, and you'll be left with a PC that's crippled, with maybe bad video or no sound or internet.

My hobby, since retirement, is refurbishing old PC's that people have basically thrown away.... so I've seen just about every driver snafu possible. I've settled on Windows 8.1/32 for its really GREAT driver pack and backward compatibility with old software, even some 16 bit (DOS) programs. Windows 7 does NOT have that.

Good Luck and let us know how you make out. (How to fix Windows 10, is all over the internet)(I've done it for many of my customers who bought new Windows 10 PC's)

The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by DrWho View Post
    Barnaby,
    My thoughts on your situation involve quite a bit of experience I have had, installing Windows 7 on various computers.
    The biggest problem I've seen with 7, is its limited driver package. If the PC is new, and came with Windows 10, fix the Security holes, (Kill WUDO and Cortana) then install the Classic shell and set it to give you a Windows 7 menu and let life go on. There's a 98% chance that Windows 7 (any version) will NOT have the drivers for your new PC, and you'll be left with a PC that's crippled, with maybe bad video or no sound or internet.

My hobby, since retirement, is refurbishing old PC's that people have basically thrown away.... so I've seen just about every driver snafu possible. I've settled on Windows 8.1/32 for its really GREAT driver pack and backward compatibility with old software, even some 16 bit (DOS) programs. Windows 7 does NOT have that.

Good Luck and let us know how you make out. (How to fix Windows 10, is all over the internet)(I've done it for many of my customers who bought new Windows 10 PC's)

The Doctor
    I am overwhelmed by the friendly and intelligent responses that I have received from my inquiry. It is most helpful, and supportive; I truly appreciate it. I am taking your suggestions to heart, and plan on using Win10 with my new laptop. Your arguments against putting Win7 on this machine make perfect sense, especially in light of the fact that my new laptop has a touchscreen. It would not be "fair" to not give 10 a chance. I feel that since I have such good support that I probably can't get into so much trouble that someone on this forum could not come to my rescue. Again, thank you to all!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Corbett View Post
    A lot of the negative remarks were about the Preview and Insider editions. I'm one of the people who wasn't too impressed at first and went back to Windows 7. However, most of the earlier issues with Windows 10 have been resolved, IMO, and it's just a case of getting used to it. Instead of having it just on a laptop and virtual machine, I'm about to upgrade my main desktop PC. That's why I suggested at least giving Windows 10 a try. You may be pleasantly surprised.
    I have decided to go for it and try it out. Since my new computer has a touchscreen, it will give me a better opportunity to weigh the use of that along with the new OS. Thank you very much for your thoughts on this. I look forward to discovering more valuable information here!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    I recommend that you use Windows 10 pretty much as is for a week or two. You ought to read linked articles in the Windows 10 forum about telemetry and privacy settings. Ask questions in the Windows 10 forum about settings, privacy, etc. After a couple of weeks or so if you find you can't stand the start menu then try a third party product to change the start menu.

Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    I recommend that you use Windows 10 pretty much as is for a week or two. You ought to read linked articles in the Windows 10 forum about telemetry and privacy settings. Ask questions in the Windows 10 forum about settings, privacy, etc. After a couple of weeks or so if you find you can't stand the start menu then try a third party product to change the start menu.

Joe
    That's what I did with Windows 8. I installed it as-is and used it that way for about a month, and I then installed StartIsBack.

I kept reading others' comments about Windows 8, but I felt pretty foolish commenting on it if I hadn't yet tried it for myself.