3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cannot "un-minimize" windows

I had a round of updates from MS that ran this morning on my Win7/64 desktop.

Now, I having issues with clicking on minimized applications windows (Word, Firefox, Powerpoint, MailWasher etc) and having them open back on whichever of the two screens on this system where they were before I minimized them. If a given screen is "empty" then "un-minimizing" a applications works. Subsequent operations of the same type will not work until I minimize the original app again.

Coupled with this, Firefox seems to have stopped taking keyboard input (although that works OK in Word).

Really weird. Anyone seen similar to this happening?

Thanks,

Kevin

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Restore back to before the updates to see if they were the problem and then install just one update at a time if they were until the problem reoccurs.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Actually, before I did something like that, I rebooted the PC (even though this Win7 update was one of those that requested a "Shutdown" after installing), so the PC had just been rebooted before this happened. After rebooting the 2nd time...the problem had disappeared. Really weird. I've owned a PC for 35 years now and this behavior was odd to say the least.

On a second note...why do some Windows updates require a "Shut Down"...why doesn't MS use a "Restart" as the option after one of those types of update?

K

Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    Restore back to before the updates to see if they were the problem and then install just one update at a time if they were until the problem reoccurs.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kevmeist View Post
    On a second note...why do some Windows updates require a "Shut Down"...why doesn't MS use a "Restart" as the option after one of those types of update?

K
    That is usually because some of the files to be updated are being held in memory and rebooting is the only way to shut those files down so they can be replaced and it probably is more difficult to code the Restart feature based upon the variables between computers and their uses, not always a "one size fits all" thing where a straight shutdown is.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sure, I understand about the files in use part of this scenario. But the rest doesn't make too much sense to me. Some Windows updates ask for a restart to be done (and NOT a shutdown). Going back many years, doing a restart was just "pulling" some pin on the CPU chip high (I have coded that logic before). That functionality still exists on modern CPUs, I'm sure.

K

Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    That is usually because some of the files to be updated are being held in memory and rebooting is the only way to shut those files down so they can be replaced and it probably is more difficult to code the Restart feature based upon the variables between computers and their uses, not always a "one size fits all" thing where a straight shutdown is.
    Last edited by kevmeist; 2016-02-25 at 10:55.