Thanks

How does Outlook 2016 work?

I have Office 36, so I thought i would try Outlook 2016 for a while - I currently use Thunderbird for my email. I have 4 main emails (as one does), two Yahoo, one Gmail and one Outlook. So I tried to setup with one of my Yahoo ones. But it is just unable to login after getting the details. So I tried my Outlook email and that set up perfectly (of course it would). I then tried my Gmail account and that sent me an email saying:
    "Someone just tried to sign in to your Google Account blurb@gmail.com from an app that doesn't meet modern security standards."

So Gmail don't think Office 2016 is good enough, eh?

I assume I'm doing something wrong - so can anyone suggest what. I can login via T'bird and via each one's webmail pages no problem.

Ho hum...
    Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by access-mdb View Post
    I have Office 36, so I thought i would try Outlook 2016 for a while - I currently use Thunderbird for my email. I have 4 main emails (as one does), two Yahoo, one Gmail and one Outlook. So I tried to setup with one of my Yahoo ones. But it is just unable to login after getting the details. So I tried my Outlook email and that set up perfectly (of course it would). I then tried my Gmail account and that sent me an email saying:
    "Someone just tried to sign in to your Google Account blurb@gmail.com from an app that doesn't meet modern security standards."

So Gmail don't think Office 2016 is good enough, eh?

I assume I'm doing something wrong - so can anyone suggest what. I can login via T'bird and via each one's webmail pages no problem.

Ho hum...
    You can't expect anything good from Google, in what concerns Microsoft software. I have stop bothering about it. I just forward any google email to my own domain email - which is my main email account.

As for Yahoo, I have one yahoo account working fine, no issues at all.

Of course, as I use POP whenever I can, Outlook 2016 is currently showing the very annoying effects of a bug introduced in the last Office 2016 updates - some of my POP messages show repeated now up to 10 times.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    OK, thanks Rui - looks like I will be staying with T'bird then.
    Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    If you have Two-Factor Authentication enabled with your Google account, which we highly recommend that you do, you’ll need to create an app-specific password to add your account, and enter it instead of your normal mail password.

To create an app-specific password, go to Google App Passwords and log in if you aren’t already. Then from the drop-down menus select Mails > Windows Computer and then click Generate.

Outlook 2016: Set Up Google and Microsoft Email Accounts

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

access-mdb (2016-02-26)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Outlook should work just fine with the email providers you stated. If the automatic configuration did not work check either the Outlook online help or the email providers help for configuration details.

Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    For Google, you have to go and set reduced security somewhere. I can't remember where but it DOES work with Outlook 2016.

Alan