Lounger
    Thanks

Reverting to Win 7

Win10 was installed 020316, but recovery does not show Win7 as a possibility. Restored Windows.old files from external drive, but recovery still doesn't show Win7.
    On Reboot there's a choice of starting Win10 or Win7 -starting win7 Message shows this is not a legal copy. I have Win10 Id number and Win7 Key.

I have a Macrim backup of win7, but not certain of the best way to restore this OS.

Does anyone have the solution?

BTW Chrome doesn't work, there's no voice modem available- that I found and a number of other functionality grievances with Win10. The multitude of Apps are not attractive for this desktop system.

Any info will be appreciated.
    Last edited by hotpepper251; 2016-02-25 at 11:42.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Is your Win7 backup an image backup? Do you have a bootable rescue disk you made with your backup software?

If the answer to both of these questions is Yes, you can boot the computer with the rescue disk and overwrite the Win10 installation with the Win7 image backup. Depending on the age of the Win7 backup, you may have to install some updates.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to nate01pa For This Useful Post:

holdum333 (2016-02-25)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Has it been more than 30 days since you installed Win10?

http://www.howtogeek.com/220723/how-...dows-7-or-8.1/

Thanks
    FN, that depends on what the OP means by 020316. I read it as 2nd March, if so the answer is no. But he is in the States so it might mean 3rd February, so the answer is yes.
    Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    As it isn't March 2016 yet then the date of installation would be 3rd Feb. 2016 so it is within the 30 day time frame and the rollback should still have been available, but it's not the first time it has been reported that the rollback wasn't available or didn't work.

It may have or not been one of the updates that has scuppered that - being cynical of MS.

Can't help with Macrium as I've never used it, but I had to use Recovery disks to revert to Win 7 and then restored with the Windows system image I'd created before the upgrade - had no choice in that though because the Start button didn't work.

It was fortunate that I already had the laptop set to boot from the ODD before the HDD as neither F2 or F12 worked either.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well if the 'Go Back' option is not there then you would boot up the Macrium Reflect Rescue Disk you made when you first installed MR and use it to locate the backup you made and overwrite the C: boot drive.

http://knowledgebase.macrium.com/dis...ue+Environment

http://knowledgebase.macrium.com/dis...g+and+browsing

http://knowledgebase.macrium.com/dis...g+rescue+media

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    If he has a Win7 option when booting then it appears he installed as a dual boot not an upgrade.

If the OP really installed as an upgrade and the rollback option is not available, could be any number of disk cleanup tools has been run and the Windows.old folder is gone.

Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    As it isn't March 2016 yet then the date of installation would be 3rd Feb. 2016 so it is within the 30 day time frame and the rollback should still have been available
    And it still isn't - a very senior moment....
    Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Well - it's March now, although still not the 3rd - but another senior moment