3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

System Restore Under Win10: Not Automatic and Too Many

According to Windows 10: The Missing Manual, my System Restore should be running automatically every day. I just checked and the last one was run a week ago, and I ran that one manually. In fact, all that were run seem to be manual or related to me backing up an image of my drive or to the installation of new software.

My settings indicate 10GB assigned for SR and 6GB used, so I have plenty of room. How do I get Win10 to do the auto System Restores?

Also, I can use CCleaner to see my System Restores and I usually keep four to conserve disk space since I have a SSD. But when I look under System and show all system restore points, I count almost ten, some dating back to the day I first booted up my new system.
    So, here

1. Why doesn’t CCleaner show all 10?
    2. How can I delete these very old restore points?

Thanks.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Hi See if this link helps!!
    http://www.windowscentral.com/how-co...ore-windows-10
    Windows automatically creates restore points just before significant system events, such as the installation of desktop apps and new Windows Updates, if the last restore point is older than seven days if no other restore points were created in the previous seven days. You can also create restore points manually at any time.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WSC3 View Post
    According to Windows 10: The Missing Manual, my System Restore should be running automatically every day.
    If it says that, it's wrong: System Restore points haven't been created daily since Vista; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System...Restore_points

That book also has other mistakes: Errata for Windows 10: The Missing Manual

Thanks
    If you don't mind installing .Net 3.5 (the easiest way is just to enable it in Windows Features. Right-click on Start then navigate to Control Panel > Programs and Features > Turn Windows features on or off > Add .Net Framework 3.5)

Add dotnet.png
    Click to enlarge

... then you can use Nic Bedford's System Restore Explorer to delete individual restore points.

System Restore Explorer.png
    Click to enlarge

Hope this helps...

Thanks
    ... then you can use Nic Bedford's System Restore Explorer to delete individual restore points.

System Restore Explorer.png

I have Net 3.5 checked but where or how do I find "System Restore Explorer". I am interested in this.
    Thanks Pete.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KIWIpeteW
    I have Net 3.5 checked but where or how do I find "System Restore Explorer"
    I agree he doesn't make it easy... the download link is hidden in a line of text just above the History notes.

download.png
    Click to enlarge

Hope this helps...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

KIWIpeteW (2016-02-27)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    How do I tell if I have .Net 3.5 already installed? My .NET Framework box has a square in it. Does this mean it's installed already?

Is there some risk to installing 3.5?
    Last edited by WSC3; 2016-02-26 at 07:21.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WSC3
    How do I tell if I have .Net 3.5 already installed? My .NET Framework box has a square in it. Does this mean it's installed already?

Is there some risk to installing 3.5?
    If, in Windows Features, you have a black square against .NET Framework 3.5 (includes .NET 2.0 and 3.0) then it means the .NET Framework is installed already. If you see a tick in the checkbox instead of a black square then it means 2 additional components have been added (click on the + sign to expand the group) - which you shouldn't need to run System Restore Explorer.

There's no risk installing 3.5 per se. However, like the OS itself, there may be updates to fix any security issues.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

KIWIpeteW (2016-02-27)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    KiwiPeteW: I installed the System Restore explorer and like CCLeaner, it doesn't show the restore points from Explorer that are named "System Image Restore Point." I'm inferring that these have something to do with System Images I stored offline and not a restore point as we normally define that term? Here's a screen print:

System Restore Points - Many.jpg

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WSC3 View Post
    KiwiPeteW: I installed the System Restore explorer and like CCLeaner, it doesn't show the restore points from Explorer that are named "System Image Restore Point." I'm inferring that these have something to do with System Images I stored offline and not a restore point as we normally define that term? Here's a screen print:

System Restore Points - Many.jpg
    So I see System Restore Explorer has not not helped with the problem that you have talked about in your opening post. Those extra Restore points just don't want to be deleted do they. I cant help with that sorry, but I am depending more on Macrium Reflex Free back ups now rather then Restore Points, so personally I would ensure I had a good backup and a "Bootable Rescue USB flash drive" and just delete the lot of Restore Points and start again.
    Good luck with that. Pete.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to KIWIpeteW For This Useful Post:

holdum333 (2016-02-27)