New Lounger
    Thanks

External USB drive letters change after drive swap

I have 1 primary Seagate 4TB USB external backup drive (J: and 2 identical WD 4TB external backup drives, but only 1 is connected at a time (the other is an offsite backup drive and the drives are swapped daily). I had used diskmgmt.msc to assign drive letter K: and it retained that letter during daily swaps until recently. There are no new external drives on the system and K: isn't being used by any device. Now, when drives are swapped, it assigns the first available drive letter E:. If I run diskmgmt.msc, assign K: to it and remove and reinsert the same drive, K: is maintained, but it changes it to E: if I swap to the other WD drive.

I have scripts that depend on K: being the drive letter, so I'm resisting trying options that would force me to modify scripts and other backup settings.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Danno,

Look into USBDLM (USB Drive Letter Management). I use this free program to control how my USB devices are assigned drive letters. The program is very versatile and will probably fit your needs.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I ended up changing the scripts and backup settings to point to E: (yeah, I know I took the lazy way out ) after observing for a couple of weeks that it was staying with E: on drive swaps. I was a little concerned about adding another service layer that could cause instability (hooking into a OS process that handles drive letter assignments), especially on a computer that has been randomly experiencing BSODs despite all efforts to prevent (a topic for a separate thread).
    Last edited by danno3; 2016-04-09 at 11:29. Reason: typo