Lounger
    Thanks

.NET Framework question

I consider myself pretty careful about keeping my computer up to date with MS updates and religiously read Susan Bradley's Patch Watch column and try to closely follow her advice. One area that I'm confused about is with .NET framework.

I think it was a few years ago it had gotten to the point that trying to install .NET updates was creating a lot of headaches and I just decided I would not download or install them and see what (if anything) happened. Susan had an article Jan 28th talking about a new version of .NET now out (version 4.6.1). I currently have both 3.5.1 and 4 on my computer.

I have a couple of questions. Should I install the newest version? If I do - do I continue to ignore the MANY (I've probably got close to 70) .NET updates that I've hidden? If I should not install the newest version, should I worry about all these hidden updates? If I wanted to get .NET fully updated on my computer do I have to install all of the hidden updates or can I just do whatever the latest ones are for 3.5.1 and 4? Like I said, I don't seem to be having any obvious issues which makes me think that maybe the best course of action is to leave well enough alone? Or, am I leaving myself vulnerable by not having the 2 .NET versions installed on my computer up to date? I be very grateful for some insight into this issue!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    One, if you have nothing that requires NET Frameworks you should uninstall it.

Two, you should always keep an installed app up to date because it contains the latest security and stability patches. So yes, if you need NET Framework 3 or 4 you should have the latest editions installed.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Why would you remove .NET? It's built-in to Windows and is required by a lot of software.

I have all .NET updates installed and my machine is fine. Why don't you make an image backup and then install the updates?

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    As Paul says, you cant uninstall .NET as its part of the OS. All the versions of .NET are actually separate programs. If you have no old programs which need a particular version, it can be turned off in Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Programs and Features\Turn Windows features on or off. If a program stops working after doing this, you can restart in the same way.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for your replies but I still have questions. I will happily update my existing .NET versions but what I need to know is do I have to install ALL the old updates that I've hidden to bring my computer up to a current state. As I mentioned, I've got close to 70 hidden updates for the two .NET versions on my computer. Or can I just install the latest updates? And what about the newer version mentioned by Susan Bradley that I referred to in my original post? Should that be installed as well as what I currently have?

Thanks
    I recently did a new install of Windows 7 x64 pro. Windows Update gave me over 200 updates, but only about 20-30 .NET updates.

You may find that if you restore the hidden updates, Windows Update might remove many updates that have been incorporated into newer updates.
    Last edited by JC Zorkoff; 2016-02-26 at 09:07. Reason: spelling

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JC Zorkoff For This Useful Post:

PamKoryn (2016-02-26)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks JC Zorkoff for the reply.